1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie pricing ? 4 Michigan guys

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 1fast432, Sep 30, 2009.

1. 1fast432

1fast432 Member

Lookin to do some sub work and residential drives and walks this yr to get my feet wet in this industry. Would be using a atv with a plow a f250 with 8'straight blade.With this economy,Michigan's economy in the crapper what kind of ball park figures should I be lookin to get hrly for subbing,per push on a standard width 50'drive and per ft of sidewalk?I don't want to be the lowballer and don't want to look rediculously high with very little experience either. Also when salting how much is the norm to apply salt or mark up over what you are paying per ton? THANKS NEWBIE

2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

You would be better off going hourly at a low rate for your first year if you are just going to sub. That will give you enough time to learn how to gauge a drives time frame. Then next year start bidding your own based on an hourly rate of say $135 with a minimum of $35per and you will be good to go.

Do you have insurance for that F-250 and the ATV?

3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

If you are interested in being a sub, I am interested in talking with you.........I can help you make your dreams come true.

Get yourself to at least 10 posts so I can PM you.

No need to question you on the open forum and annoy everyone to death with a private conversation.

4. 1fast432

1fast432 Member

Thanks terrapro and TCLA will do. Hey hydro 37 your not from Michigan anyway!!!!!!!!!!

5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

That doesn't matter.....he knows his stuff.

6. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

WOW wish i could hit numbers like that

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

The way this year is going, those numbers are almost double what anyone could hope for around here.

8. terrapro

from MI

Me too! :cry:

If I see one more "$15 any driveway" flyer I am going to flip!

9. wls

wls Senior Member

thats about the going rate where I'm at

10. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

same up here in gaylord. i even have a drive that i do for $25 per push, thats 250 foot long up hill. only reason its that cheap is its for a local radio dj and i get free plugs :)

11. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

you guys get more than $15 per driveway? Dang. When I think of all the money I Could have made by charging that much.

I would be posting my butt off to get to 10 so I could talk to TCLA about subbing. Someone wants to give you a break like that, take it.

12. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

dont make any sence to pay fuel, insurance just to break even and have the ware and tear on equipment. its the fly by night guys that dont have the proper insurances that can plow driveways for 5 or 10 bucks. its ok, i only plow a couple drives. most of mine accounts are commercial and they all want to see my insurances.

13. terrapro

from MI

That is B.S. , I hope this is just a low point in the industry and we will start to rise back up soon. There is no way these guys are properly insured and contribute taxes to help pay for the welfare I am assuming they are on.

I put on all my advertising that I am licensed and insured and I am proud of it.

14. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Congrats Terra on your Addict status

15. terrapro

from MI

Hey yeah you too, looks like you recently crossed over to the dark side yourself xysport

16. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

He's not trying very hard is he. Opportunity is passing him by......

17. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Yes. Congratulations Terra you addict. :drinkup:

18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Congrats to you too Quad. :salute: