1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

newbie;Plow for 2001 1500 quad LB 5.9

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Rich Forssberg, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Rich Forssberg

Rich Forssberg Junior Member

Can anyony give some additional facts about my 2001 Ram 1500 quad cab long bed 5.9. Information I've heard so for is that I'm very limited to what kind of plow that can go on it. Can I keep it stock.......Do I need timbrens..........Can the front-end handle a plow.........do I need ballast.........Do all you guys use snow tires?
    I'm getting all different kinds of facts.
    Thanks for any info..:dizzy:
  2. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

i wouldnt put a plow on it but if you do yes put timbrens on it it is 4 wheel drive right?if mot dont bother.your tires are probably be fine but you might want to get an aggressive tire.do you have the plow pacage i seriously doubt it.this is why i wouldnt put one.might want to get a bigger battery and alternator.
  3. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Rich...... you will be just fine ....no larger than a 7.5' plow..I suggest the BOSS 7.5' superduty, thats what we all use and they install just fine on the 2001 Dodge 1500. NO cutting / splicing etc. required.... Timbrens would help due to the stock springs will drop a couple inches with the plow weight. I carry 500lbs of sand for rear weight ( more with the salt ) and it seems to work. Dont Bonzi plow....:nono:
  4. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Get timbrens they are great!
  5. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Rich...here is a pic of my 1500 with a Boss plow.

Attached Files:

• kip2.bmp
      File size:
      92.1 KB
  6. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Rich - read this thread... saves me from repeating myself!
    Click Here!
  7. Rich Forssberg

Rich Forssberg Junior Member

Just wanted to say thanks for all the input I received. I'm new to this Forum and I think it's great! I had a Sno-Way HT Predator installed on 12-07-03. I picked that plow after input from here and also that it's about the only plow that was recommended from from the manufacturer. The only problem is Chicago area has yet to see any amount of snow! Well it has to come sooner or later. Thanks all for your help.:nod: