1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie, please check my thought out....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Johnny V, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

Ok I am new to this but did a lot of reading and now need to know if I am on the right track. To start I have a 2000 F350 crew cab LB dually 4x4 automatic.

OK I know it is not recommended to plow with this big of a truck but I am a part time property manager for a few small buildings. The plow I am looking at is the Hinker 9' "C" Plow because this "C" plow might give me some advantage because of the size of my truck. I can back drag a lot to make up for the corners I can not get to. Most are lots or driveways so should be easy and quick jobs.

Now please advise if I am correct:

Was going to get nice Dunlap mud Radial for the back 4 tires. From what I read I should go with the $85 BFGoodrich T/A saze money and get better traction right?

Since I am plowing very little it is possible to use this truck if I take it slow and smart right?

Anyone do this now and have thoughts or recomendations? I think the plow will be on it so little the idea of over loading the front springs etc should be ok....

Any help would be great!

2. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

Just wanted to add a few things.

#1 My truck does have the 7.3 liter turbo diesel. Yes I know a plow and that is a lot for the front but seeing it will be on a small amount of time I think I am ok...

#2 Just saw the ires I previously wanted on a truck. The Dunlap Mud Rovers do not look like a full blown mud tire and "might" work in snow? Anyone run Mud Rovers in the snow etc????
  3. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

To tell you the truth, I have a set of pretty worn down goodyear GS/A's on my Jeep, they were left over from my other Jeep when I lifted it, and so they were free. These a very tame tires, almost street tires, and like I said, pretty worn down. They handled great, plenty of traction, if anything you need traction on ice, it's not like you're going to be driving ON snow, you are more on freshly plowed pavement, which is very much like ice, so I don't know how much a true mud tire will mame a difference.

I'd say stick with what's on there the first time and THEN get something different if you feel they are inadequate.

4. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Ford doesn't recommend a plow with the crew cab and the diesel. The front end is almost maxed out, weight wise. The other problem is the length. Unless you were only plowing parking lots, the turning radius will make things very difficult.
  5. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

Griptruck: My back tires are bald that is why they MUST be changed....

CPSS: I know I have seen that a lot. Most of the plowing would be small parking lots where there is room to move straight. I was hoping the "C" plow design would help me when I back drag where i could nto reach....
  6. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Still, Ford doesn't recommend attaching a snow plow to that truck. You run the risk of damage to the front end components.
  7. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

I see plows on that truck all the time around here. Put on some timbrens and you'll be all set. Truck is big but you gotta work with what you got
  8. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

Thank you I know I have read about some people on this site duing this. Can you explain a bit what you mean by "put on some Timbrens"?

CPSS: I alos know what you are talking about. The problem I have is I need something and soon. The lots are all within 5 miles from my house and other then that the plow would be down on the ground when parked etc. I am searching e-bay for a plow truck but the prices are high or they are very big eye sores...

he truck I have now is real nice and do not want to ruin that either so as you can see I am between a rock and a hard place.

Any suggestion on the tires from you pros out there? Right now it is between Dunlap Mud Rovers that claim OK snow traction and BF Goodrich T/A that Sam's club now carrys at a low $85 a tire price..... Want the mud rovers for the look but.... ???
  9. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

OK, I give up, do what ya want. Just because other people do it, do they know more than the manufacturer?
  10. North Country

North Country Senior Member

I am running the Dunlop Radial Rover with no problems - the Mud Rovers seemed a little too aggressive for every day driving. The Rovers ran about $100/ ea. You can see them in action here....

ps 12-6 michael bakemark.jpeg
  11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

The reason FORD doesn't want a plow on this truck is simple.

Powerstroke is heavy.

You could possibly fill your cab with 6 (six) 200+lb men and then hitch up your 917lb C-plow. You would now be severely overloading that front axle.

This is the SOLE reason for manufacturer limitations on extended and crew cab plow upfitting.

I say you'll have NO problems whatsoever, and that NEW Hiniker 8000 series C-plow looks like one NICE plow! Haven't heard much about them on here though.

As for tires, go with a Mud & Snow or a Snow & Ice tire. Whatever you get make sure it has a lot of sipes in the tread blocks. Also look for a soft compound (low tread life) You'll also want to buy SIX of whatever you get. That front axle will be doing a LOT of work (traction wise) as you have more PSI up front.

Good Luck
  12. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

Johnny V do search on here and the web for timbrens and you will learn all you need to know. Common sense would tell you that if you do have the plow on, don't load the truck with five other 200lb + guys. put some ballast in the back and you will be fine

Another thought would be to put a lighter blade with a back drag edge installed on it to lesen the strain on the front end

Im not sure but aren't the axles the same on the 350 and 450 4x4 just the springs are heavier
  13. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

OK OK SO I listened to that little voice in my head. I went out and bought a bobcat for snow plowing the 1-2 small lots and the few driveways I do. In this area the driveway is usually only 50-75 ft long and very wide so this should be great.

Anyone else using these to plow without a snow pusher etc? Not sure i have any cash left to buy a pusheror plow, and since the small driveways I would need to find a used 6 or 8' one MAX....

Thank you for all your thoughts. I do appreciate you helping me out. I am still stuck on my tire question. Since I am not plowing now, is the Dunlap Mud Rover still not a good idea? I like the look of it and it would make my truck a bit more of a "bad ass" when hauling around the old trailer and 7753 bobcat......
  14. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, I wish I could just up and buy a Bobcat. I could get into the snow removal business then, with my 12 foot stake body dumper.

As for the tires, bad-ass looking tires aren't necessarily better, even if the tread looks extra-aggressive. The stock tires on my GMC full size pickup, which I think are Goodyear Wrangler ST, are extremely tame looking. They ride very smooth and quiet. I was expecting them to be terrible in the snow; I was quite surprised to find that my truck handles snow better than anything I've ever driven, with the exception of the dumptruck we use for plowing.

My dad's Toyota full size has BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A tires that look more ballsy, ride almost as nice, but don't surprise me with any extra grip in the snow.
  15. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

ha ha not like it sounds..... I shopped around and got a older one for a deal. My thought was $4k for a plow, on a truck that the Ford does not suggest for plowing, or something else. Well for about double I got the Cat and can use it all year round. You see here in Chicago we have gotten about 2, 4" snow storms in the last 2 years.

The idea with the bobcat is some weekend I rent myself out and help pay down the purchase price. Then I have a toy that is not in the garage all summer and also I am not wrecking my truck plowing with it.

I use to use one when I was a kid and loved them ever since...... Now I am just hoping that the 60" bucket is enough to plow the lots and driveway with because I can not afford a pusher yet....:cry:
  16. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

I run the dunlop mud rovers and am very pleased with them for the price.
    They do produce a fair amount of road noise but are not too annoying. I would recommend them as they make my truck perform as well in 2wd as it used to do in 4wd.
    I have about 10,000 miles on them and have smoked off about 20,000 miles worth and they still have much more tread than a brand new all terrain tire, Just keep in mind that the softer tread compound will go out of round more easily. This is a fair trade off for all the added traction though.
  17. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

THANKS!!! I am glad to finally hear that someone is running them and likes them. I can get 1 size talller from Sam's club for about $110 each so I am excited.

I have a diesel dually crew cab and just need 4 rear ones.... So I could not see noise being a problem since the engine is load and the rear tires are about 6-8' from the driver's window..... :D

I think I will try these out now that I have Bobcat for plowing. I do not put many miles on my truck seeing that for my weekday job I take the train everyday and walk to the station. So theys hould still last me a good 3+ years....

Should look good and grip well. Thanks again you got me all charged up to go get this done!!
  18. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know...it's sounding more and more like I thought before. You have a job that you can take the train to, and yet you can afford a big ol' F350 dually LB crew cab. That's no cheap truck, especially if it's not being used commercially every day all day.

What do you do? Where can I sign up?
  19. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

Yes I have some toys and it is coming from years of saving and being very careful with how I spent my duogh.

I work for a insurance copany doing a lot of number work. I am inside all day and would rather be outside.

On top of that I manage some building for investors. My toys are only the ones you read about, nothing normal people would call "fun"..... Looking forward to the Bobcat as much as a normal person would look forward to getting a boat.

I work about 80 hours a week between the 2 jobs, sooooo I guess that is where the toys come from no real "life" but hey that is why these boards are my friends he he

OH yeah no wife and kids also help.....:drinkup:
  20. greatGMC

greatGMC Junior Member

the answer...or is it?

Sounds like you guys need one of these. That way it won't wreck your vehicle.

No lighting, no hydraulics, sounds interesting, pretty cool concept in my opinion. :salute: