1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie Operator Bidding Questions

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Lawn_Enforcemen, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Lawn_Enforcemen

Lawn_Enforcemen Junior Member

I am wanting to know what the average rate in anyones area for salt per lb in Ky i can buy a palletee of 49 50 lb bags for 170.03.
    What should i charge for approximately 90 bags of salt to be put down i have heard anywhere from .19 cents to .30 cents whats a good start for first year and how much time to charge for 8 foot plow on a parking lot which is about 196000 sq feet including walkways?

Do people like to see per hourr/base price/ or a minimum of 4 hours ?

Thanks alot

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I charge $17 dollar a 50# bag so I think you would want to go with .30 a bag which equals $15.00 . But if you are putting down 90 bags of salt at one place you would be better to go bulk. Plus they are not going to go for the price of $1350 for salting if you bidding at 90 bags times $15. that is alot of loading a tailgate hopper to get that done. and if you are plowing 196000 sq ft lot with cars and other obstacles and you are new to this I think the lot if going to take you at least 4 hours, but i dont know the configuration of it. Put up some pics from google and then some other guys can help out and give you a good estimate. To many factors. I bid my propertys on per hour. If I think it is going to take me 4 hours and I want to make $125 an hour I multiple and I get $500 to plow that lot.

3. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Wow thats a big lot for one new guy. Hopefully its lots of small lots not one big one. Talk to some people who know plowing in your area. This is like my 11-12 th year of plowing and what i though was a good way to plow then is not how i plow today.

Good luck iim sure you will do just fine but have a good plan.

It is only snow!

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

if your lot is almost 200000 sq ft you will only need to put down somewhere around 50 / 50 lb bags of rock salt to cover that area. Where did you get 90 bags of 50#. and to plow being new is going to take you at least 5 hours to do 2-4 inches.