1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie Needs Plow Advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Diesel_1, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Diesel_1

Diesel_1 Junior Member
    from NJ

Hi Guys! I'm finally going to purchase a plow to pick up some extra money doing residential driveways, and so I don't have to load up the snow thrower to do my family's driveways anymore! I've been looking through the forum for some time now, and need your advise on two. Either a 8' Boss Super-Duty XT or the 8' Western Pro Plus with the back drag edge. It's going on my '01 dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins. Will it help if I install a set of heavy duty front springs on the truck? Thanks!

2. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

It's a diesel, it already has the HD springs in it. If the plow is causing your truck to bottom out on the bump stops when you hit bumps in the road, you may want to look into Timbrens; otherwise don't sweat it.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

dealer service and support is more important then brand

4. Diesel_1

Diesel_1 Junior Member
    from NJ

Unfortunately it looks like no dealer will install a Pro Plus on a '01 Dodge 2500 with a diesel. They said its too heavy!

5. D&E

D&E Senior Member

That doesn't seem right at all.

6. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

They MVP is about 80lbs over the front gross axle weight. The straight blades should be just fine.

7. Diesel_1

Diesel_1 Junior Member
    from NJ

I went to take a good look at a 8' Boss Super Duty, I liked it a lot, there aren't many plows available in NJ right now and who knows when more are going to make it this way. So I bought it and it's getting installed on Monday. Thanks Guys for your input!

8. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Boss makes a great product. Did you look for used first? Seems a little overkill for a couple driveways :confused:

9. Diesel_1

Diesel_1 Junior Member
    from NJ

Yes I looked for used, but really nothing around. One of my local shops had a 8 1/2 Boss SD used, but it was too big. Landscapers around here tend to beat the living you know what out of all their equipment!