1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie Needs More Help

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sday88, Jan 11, 2010.

1. sday88

sday88 Member

I've got a few more questions about dealing with snow and ice that I'm hoping you can help me with:

1) What's the difference in quality between salt crystal sizes? Does bigger or smaller crystals melt better? I recently purchased some bagged salt that had a lot of pretty small crystals in it and it tended to clump and not come out of my spreader very well. And I couldn't hear it hitting the shield very well so I couldn't tell how much was coming out.

2) How long do the crystals stay crystals? In other words, how long does the salt stay on the ground and do the work?

3) How long after I salt should I then plow? This is actually my biggest confusion.

I'm really trying to figure out what the best size salt is to put down, then how long do I wait until I plow again to remove what has supposed to have melted before it just refreezes. It seems like I've wasted an aweful lot of salt so far this year without making much progress.

2. I use these kinds of Ice Melt: From Scotwood Industries, Inc. offers a wide variety of products including dry and liquid ice melters which can handle all of your de-icing needs. http://www.scotwoodindustries.com

Traction Melt the Green, Black & white bag for temps above 10 deg. F. . I put this down on Friday afternoon 01-08-2010 & it is still there today 01-11-2010.

Road Runner Ice Melt blend Red back & white bag for temps Between 10 above to 10. below 0. Put on steps on 01-09-2010 Now it is almost gone on 01-11-2010.

EXCEL CALCIUM CHLORIDE Yellow, orange, red, balck, & white bag melts to -25. Haven't gotten this cold yet.

They work good in the spreader. The cheap ones from Wal Mart do clog up. Looks like it got wet inside the bags.

What is the salt crystal brand your putting down?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

we plow, then salt at end of storm
  4. We do that to. BUT some customer's want a safe way to the cars @ end of day's works. Friday after was till snowing at the place talking above. As long it is a safe way in the morning to get to the building & safe way in the afternoon after work. Ice control @ 6 AM & again @ 2 PM. Again if ambulance get called to the place. It is a high rise.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2010