1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie needs info on set up

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by DrB, Nov 4, 2006.

1. DrB

DrB Junior Member

Hello
    I am new to the site. I need some info.
    I am located in the Chicago area.
    I am looking to set up my 2001 GMC P/U 1500 to plow my home, and my families 3 office buildings.
    The office buildings have 20 spaces.
    I am looking at one of the Sno King MT or the Western Suburbanite blades.
    Will these be strong enough to handle the lots?

Please let me now what your opinion of these or if there is another type of plow that you would reccommend.

Thanks

DrB

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Plenty, if you're only doing your own stuff and not plowing commercially. There are several homeowner type plows out there. Some have power angle some are angled manually. Basically, expect to spend around $2000 for a power angle plow or $900 for a non-power angle.

3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Dr B
    Are you the same DrB from AOPA and PIA?

Regards Mike

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

how could anyone stand manual angling when doing more than just their own house........out of those two choices, ide go with the suburbanite

5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Dr Bruce
    If it were me I would look for a 1 or 2 year old Boss or Western. 7.5 ft should be fine for what you want to do. I would also crank my torsion bars 5 turns and add a set of Timberns on the front. The Timberns you can buy by clicking on the banner ad at the top of the page. They run a little over $150.00 a set and just bolt on in place of your factory bumper stops on the control arm. To crank the T bars jack the truck up till the front wheels are off the ground, add a set of jack stands and then turn each Tbar bolt 5 turns. That will get you a little more ground clearance and the timberns will help with the droop and bounce of the front end. Also keep a eye on the trans temp, don't let it get over 210 degree's and change the fluid every year. There is a for sale section on this web site to look for good used plows.

Regards Mike