1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

newbie needs help

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by runswithwolves, Dec 23, 2014.

1. runswithwolves

runswithwolves Junior Member

Howdy folks I've lived in Northwestern Wisconsin for 18 years and have finally gotten my first plow. The only problem is, I have no clue how to hook it up. Mounting was easy it bolted right up . It's a western straight blade and has a cable joy stick. I know where. Positive cable goes and negative. And know where single wire for joy stick goes I just don't,t know about soleinoid. I have97 GMC 2500 and a 80 something ford soleinoid. Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. runswithwolves

runswithwolves Junior Member

See such a newbie I just realized I posted in the wrong section of this forum. Lol:laughing:
  3. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

no matter.
    mount the solenoid to the truck.
    positive wire from battery to hot side of solenoid.
    positive wire from switched side of solenoid to positive power terminal on pump motor.
    negative wire from ground lug on pump to truck frame or negative terminal on battery.
    small wire from control box to small terminal on solenoid.
    then the 2 cables get hooked up inside the plow pump control valve.
  4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

I haven't played with a cable unit in a long time, but your Ford solenoid is not going to work. When that is energized, the other small terminal gets hot, this is not going to work. You need a Western four terminal solenoid. Go to Western library and see. The cable control handle completes the circuit by putting it to ground. Battery positive goes to one small terminal, then the other small terminal goes to the cable controller. The western solenoid comes with the wiring diagram. Merry Christmas
  5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

good catch on the Ford solenoid. i forgot about western grounding.
    the Ford unit will only work on the Meyer pumps.