1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie needs advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CW59, Oct 30, 2009.

1. CW59

CW59 Junior Member
    from Oregon

This is a great site, glad I found it....
    Well this year will be my first year plowing on my own (me and my dad helped a guy plowing 10 years ago). I have a Case 1840 skid steer with a 8' push box and a side walk blade on order I also have the normal bucket already. I also have a a Ford f250 deisel with a 8' plow (no wings) and I have a a back up truck Ford f350, incase the deisel craps out. I have acces to a big dump trailer for removal and I have a friend with a smaller plow and truck ready to sub out for me.
    Not sure what else Im might be forgetting, but my dad is retired and bored (he had a concrete company for 40 years) and Im in the military with some free time, we are just lookin for a little extra cash and some right offs for taxes. We dont get snow like most of you guys but it can get nasty around here a quit a few times a year for a couple weeks at a time. I dont have much over head, less then 8000 (equipment was given to me when dad retired) all I had to pay for was Plow for truck and push box for skidder and company stuff.
    So my question is does this sound like a good start equipment wise? Since Im new at this should I just sub out or should I roll with my own work and gettin my business going?
    I have a couple bids do next week on a couple big private subdivisions, I guess I'm asking all these questions cause Im startin to worry I will get in over my head..
    I hope to get some good info in return, thanks in advance!!!!

"Please dont flame" :angry:
  2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

you sound like you have all your ducks in a row, i am very impressed, REALLY, i wish most people were as well thought out as you, so get some contracts and if you need ask advice, i well be happy to help,
  3. CW59

CW59 Junior Member
    from Oregon

WOW thanks! I was scared to death to post cause of backlash!
    Got a big job I have to look at tonight, only bad thing is it is 35 miles away!!! :cry:
    But it is a good job so will see...
    BW if you dont mind I would like to maybe email you some more indepth questions, just to help set myself at ease?

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Something to think about. 35 miles one way with a plow on, could lead to overheating problems. Not trying to scare you off, but think about it.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

35 miles? If it's a big contract, go for it. I'd want to leave at least one truck onsite. It can get rough driving that far in the winter. Do you have an equipment trailer to transport the skidsteer? You might want to do both - sub for someone as well as have a few of your own accounts. Just be upfront with him and look out for any "noncompete" clause in any contract.
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Start small in the snow plow business and grow with experience.
    Have you got insurance for snow removal?
  7. CW59

CW59 Junior Member
    from Oregon

I never really thought about the 35 miles being far, can that be a major problem with overheating???? Wonder if it would be a good idea to put the plow on the back of of my Skid steer trailer and then hook up once I get to the job???
    Yes I do have insurance and a license, I have been doing alot of reading here and trying to be prepared as best as I can but i'm sure there will always be something you forget..
    I will also talk with a bunch of the contractors here in town who do snow removal and try and sub out to them a bit also. I plan on only having two commercial jobs and the rest residential as of now. Jumping in both feet, watch out!!! LOL

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Overheating shouldn't be a problem. You can angle or lower the blade to get airflow to the radiator.
    I would HATE to trailer my blade and have to hook and unhook each time.
  9. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I was by no means saying that you will have an over heating problem. I am just telling you to think about it, and other things like that. I guess if I had my route even remotly set up, and then had a customer call me 35 miles away, I would either have to flat out tell him no, or find more jobs to and from his property to try and make that trip worth the drive. 35 miles on unplowed roads to his job is going to take an hour or more to get there. Towards the late part of the season when it snows and the temp starts rising is prob, the only times you will need to worry about overheating problems, but like hydro says, you can lower your blade to a few inches off the road, or play with the angle to see where it runs it's coolest.
  10. nyhardscapepro

nyhardscapepro Junior Member
    from ny

I agree with buckwheat_la I see a lot of guys that have a plow truck with no back up, that is just asking for trouble, you can have a breakdown with a brand new truck - always make sure you have a backup, I would suggest working as a sub your first year to get an idea of the time it takes in different conditions. GOOD LUCK!!!:drinkup:
  11. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

i agree with both of the other guy's, when i started in the 25 yrs ago, i had 1 truck, and subed for a large company. as time went by i added more trucks and got more accounts on my own, by working as a sub first, you will get some experance, and it will be easier to know how to bid the jobs. you don't want to take on too much when first starting, with only 1 truck and loader, if the truck goes down, you won't be able to get to them, I don't know what type of truck you have, but even new trucks will go down, plowing is hard on the equipment. as far as an account being 35 miles away, it might be hard to know what is going on there, like drifting the day after the storm, just keep it in mind, good service during and after the storm is really important to growing with a good reputation. good luck
  12. nbannan

nbannan Member

Overheating can happen

Remember if heat goes up, slow down! Fisher says 45MPH max with plow on.
    i am sure most vendors say the same.
    It creates a wave of air in front of plow that keeps airflow out of radiator. Also full in cab heat with windows down can help pull down temp in a pinch. just FYI.
    :realmad:Lowering & angling blade helps as per previous posts.