1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie needs advice

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Jetdrivr, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Jetdrivr

Jetdrivr Junior Member

First post here, so forgive me for the elementary questions...

I'm buying my first snowplow this week and have narrowed the search down to a Western plow and possibly a couple others. The truck this will be going on is a 99 RAM 1500 Sport 4X4 that has had some sort of modest lift kit installed on it (not sure exactly what as I purchased the truck second hand).

The plow dealer is recommending a 7 1/2' mid-weight poly plow. Does this seem like a good plow for this application? Also, for that matter, is the Dodge Ram 1500 a decent truck to push some snow around? For the most part, I will be plowing a couple commercial lots that I own as well as a couple driveways ... all my own stuff, nothing for-hire.

Also, this particular Dodge is the "Sport" model and I was told that the front bumper would have to bet cut up a bit for the plow installation. Anyone have any experience with this and does it completely mess up the appearance of the front bumper?

Finally, the price I have been quoted is right around $3900 installed. Is that a good deal?

Thanks for the help guys.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes to all the questions. I'd recommend putting the truck back to stock. The lift kit changes the angle of attack. The plow is manufactured for optimum scraping action and that just changes it. As far as the price, that's pretty good for a regular duty 7.5' plow.