1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

newbie needs advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Matt10486, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Matt10486

Matt10486 Member

I am looking to start plowing but need help with picking the right plow (brand) for my truck. I have an 04 F250 Gasser. My uncle tells me Fisher is the way to go others say Boss is the way to go. I just need some of you guys to put in your two cents and help me out.

Thank you so much:gunsfiring:
  2. whtdahell

whtdahell Junior Member
    from NJ

I'm new to the small PU plowing world as well and after all my research I went with the Western setup mostly for the ultra mount. its unnoticable on the truck with the plow off and takes me by myself 30 seconds or so to mount on the truck. just drive in and click in the handles and your done.
  3. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

On here is why I chose fisher extreme V. Chain lift if or when. I break it I just short chain it and I'm down the road not finding a way to keep it up. 2 western and fisher use the same pump lights and harness 3. fishers stack higher are built stronger and use larger cylinders(faster stronger).4. Fisher goes on as easy if not easier than western. 5 for V plows fisher is the fastest and lock the wings together to operate like a straight blade and angle ur scoop. Also no need. Buy the smart lock cyl(boss) and also fisher v blades have power back not spring return. I found this help if u get stuck to get out. And if u wanna plow. Commercially get. V it will makes things way faster
  4. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

For all you new guys, Welcome to Plow site.

Just make sure you have a dealer close by and that he will go out of his way to fix your plow if needed during a storm. No sense in buying a plow that you have to drive for hours to get parts or service.
  5. Matt10486

Matt10486 Member

Thanks Kenyou, What kind of plows are you running?

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

dealer service and support is more important then brand

I prefer Boss...but like Sno-Way as well
  7. Matt10486

Matt10486 Member

How much did your boss run you?
  8. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I would take a good educated look at both, and find out which dealer is closer and better for you.

I prefer a Boss V over the Douglas Dynamics design. This has been discussed ad nasaum on here.
  9. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

If you are going to use the plow, buy a Meyer. there one (if not) the oldest in the business and my dad ran them for years with hardly any problems and he could tear up an iron anvl with a feather.

my 2cents...

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i run a 8ft fisher strait blade. just make sure you have somewhere close by to get it worked on
  11. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I have a Meyer CP 8 and it has worked good for me. The problem is that the only dealer in town was a combined Meyer and Western dealer and now Meyer refused to consider them a dealer because they weren't selling Meyer plows any more. The guy at the counter said that the guys guys are just not buying Meyer plows anymore. He said we can't even get Meyer parts to sell. To make it worse, there are a lot of Meyer plows on the roads.
  12. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

the local meyer dealer here are hateful and extreamly high, but there is a place that I go to that is aboit 15 miles away if I have to have something right then.

But there is this thing called the internet and you can find parts all over the place and havethem shipped in (if you are not in a hurry). I got alot of parts out of Pa, and some out of Mn last year. I got a new pair of angle clynders for 80 bucks shipped (for the pairthat is), were as localy wanted 150 each and 80 each to check them before rebuilding...

I try to keep an extra or two part (main things that go wrong) laying around, I pick them up off line in the off season, like in the middle of summer when stuff is cheaper as well..