1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

newbie looking for tips

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by skinut2234, Dec 21, 2009.

1. skinut2234

skinut2234 Member
    from NJ

I just started helping out doing some small roads and cul-de-sacs.... Are there any books, guides, websites etc... out there to show me some tricks and techniques on how to plow certain road types?? thanks
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Read posts on here for tips but the best tip is EXPERIENCE

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Common sense is not rocket science...learn by doing as the man said. Everyone thinks they have a better way and no other way will suffice...develop your own plowing methods...if it gets you in trouble, modify and start over...:drinkup:
  4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

What do you wanna know?
  5. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

The only good tip is in the seat experience...It's like driving a race car people can tell you how to drive but it's up to the driver to do what he thinks needs to be done
  6. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

Thats the best advice if heard....every body does it there way....No wait heres some advice dont hit sh&#
  7. plowindiesel

plowindiesel Senior Member

read all you can on this site. there are a ton of very knowledgeable pros that are more than willing to offer there advice. another thing that helped me out when i first started was calling around to different companies and asking if I could ride around with one of their more experienced operators. this seemed to help a lot. best of luck!!!
  8. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

make your blade move the snow where you want it to go. :eek:
  9. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

You are correct...But no reading is going to make up for the lack of seat time...period
  10. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

practice a lot and try to do things in the least amount of movements kinda like running a machine..
  11. skinut2234

skinut2234 Member
    from NJ

Plowing the short roads are pretty straight forward- Was looking for advice on the cul-de-sacs... Common sense tells me to start in the middle and work my way out- but sometimes you can't always put the snow in a certain place (driveways etc)
    Was trying to see if there are any other tips for these circles since I seemed to spend a whole lotta time trying to clear one!
  12. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

It really depends on the situation, like you said you need know where to put the snow. You'll get the hang of it, if someone plowed it before you maybe you could ask them where they put the snow and any pointers? After a while it will become second nature to you.
  13. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

windrowing is gonna be your best friend...

and why cant you plow it into a driveway while your going down the road. every other plow truck in the world does. your getting paid to clear the cul de sac. not keep it out of a driveway.

as for the circle just take big bites move the bulk of the snow and clean up. or you can take smaller bites and windrow to both sides.
  14. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Don't do this

This is something that a guy did in my subdivision. Generally plow out. Unless you have place for the snow. LOL. Plow out!

15. jb3nh

jb3nh Member
    from eastern

Wayne that's just plain gross :p http://www.plowsite.com is my #1 goto site. I'll admit it, I consider myself pretty green, there is no shame in asking questions. As far as books 'n stuff, there's some you tube vids, and i betcha most anyone that plows for a significant portion of their winter income would be happy to talk to you about. If you can, ride shotgun with someone with a few seasons under their belt or just watch another plow operator from a polite distance
  16. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

cul-de-sacs The worst but you have to take some time most guys just plow it in.In other words they drive into the circle make a turn and push it towards the side the plow is angled that is the easy way to do just make a turn and then push out. In most circles the area you can stack snow is at the begining of the circle not the end so if you drive down into the circle plow up turn around and like Wayne Volz said plow out. Now this takes more time and most city or county workers dont care and just push it to the side where ever it falls oh well. I live on a cul-de-sac and when I get home from a storm I try to clean up the mess but if its a big storm might be a few days. Just take your time.
  17. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

Take it slow. It's not a race and just get experiance. Watch others look how they do it. The more you do the more you notice. You will drive through a neighborhood and see plenty of ways people plow do what works for your situation.
  18. turb0diesel

turb0diesel Senior Member

19. turb0diesel

turb0diesel Senior Member

for cul-de-sacs

go straight down the middle and hug the circle with plow aiming in towards the circle if that makes sense
  20. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Too funny

This is not something we did. I was not suggesting that this is how to plow a court.

I agree with you, no shame in asking questions. Even after 30 years in buisiness all of our crew members including myself continually go to seminars, add CEU's and listen to professionals for a different and better way to do things. If we all keep an open mind, we will all be more successful and PROFITABLE!

Sad to think a contractor could make money plowing snow in front of a mail box like that isn't it? When I came home and saw that, I thought that is exactly what's wrong with the industry. Lack of education, training and knowledge. ONE WOULD THINK COMMON SENSE WOULD TELL YOU NOT TO DO THAT. However, common sense is not always as common as it should be. Hopefully this picture will help anyone that doesn't know this is not the right thing to do. This picture ranks up there with the guy that plows toward a dumpster and leaves the pile there, covers water drains, covers handicap ramps, etc.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all. For any of you that may have to work Christmas, be careful.