1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie Looking for plow info feedback

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by GeorgeNTeri, Feb 21, 2005.

1. GeorgeNTeri

GeorgeNTeri Junior Member

Hello: My name is George and am looking for feedback on this I have a 1998
    Ford expidetion and am thinking of putting a plow on it the only information
    I have so far is that two manufactures do make a plow for this vehicle one is
    a Blizzard plow the other is Snow-way. I plan on doing my own driveway and a few neighbors at first then Possibly go into doing plowing for hire small stuff only though No walmarts for me LOL, I would like to know what the people out there think of the both the plows and using this type of vehicle? I figure you out there know a bunch more than I do Thanks in advance George.

P.S. Anyone know why when I hit spell check on doing this I keep loosing all i typed. so if I made a error now it is because I refuse to loose this a third time.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Hi, George. I don't give advice (except in fun) about plow brands or usually what vehicle is best to plow with. That only leads to the inevitable "Yes you can, No you can't" argument. If you're considering starting a business plowing snow, this is something I put together some time back. Most of the threads are from a couple years ago, but I think should still be pertinent:

A few threads to get started (or snowplowing 101)

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8285&highlight=starting+business (discusses advertising)

Things to consider in starting a snowplowing business (besides pricing).

1. Do I have the time to commit to plowing? If you are unavailable during particular times of the day or periods of time, you’ll be severely limited in the types of accounts you can take on.

2. What equipment do I have now? What will I purchase/lease before beginning to plow? If you only have a pickup and plow, you won’t want to go after accounts that need salting. If you have a ¾ ton pickup with an 8’ blade and a tailgate spreader, you won’t go after a 50 acre mall.

3. What is my market area? The closer together the accounts and closer to your business office (likely your home), the better.

4. What type of accounts will I pursue? Residential? Commercial? Industrial? Each will affect several things including type of insurance and equipment needed.

5. Do I have the expertise and equipment for this type of account? (obviously you’re asking this when you look over a proposed job).

6. For any particular job, you will need to consider - How am I going to approach this job, where am I going to push/stack the snow and will there be enough room for future pushes? What is going to be affected by where I plan to pile snow? Will I need to have snow removed from the site? You need to have the equipment for snow removal or arrange for it.

7. A big consideration: How am I going to handle the inevitable equipment failure? Do you have friends you can call on to fill in for you? Do you have backup equipment? How about if you’re sick and can’t get out? This is a real problem - even people using brand new equipment can tell you stories of how their $35,000 brand new truck bit the dust and spent the next week in the shop. In the meantime, they missed out on thousands of dollars because they didn’t have a backup truck.

8. Do I have the required insurance for the type of accounts I’m pursuing?

This is just a partial list. I’m sure others can chime in, also. Notice I have not even mentioned looking at how much to charge. Another good resource would be to develop a Business Plan. For an example of that, visit the Small Business Administration web site.
  3. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

Good points...

George, Mick makes some good points and he is also correct that there is alot to consider if you are really thinking about working into this business.
    While it may seem like easy money....push a little snow,get paid good money for what seems to be 10 minutes worth of work.....thats all fine until something happens .....and it always does.
    Snap this,hit that, no, I can't go away this weekend 'cause it might snow,opps I didn't see the corner of that garage.......'We won't give you as much for your vehicle because it's been plowed'.... :rolleyes:
    ALSO pushin snow can be addictive too !!! :nod:
  4. mylittlescoop

mylittlescoop Senior Member
    from nj

wow Mick as always that was well said! We should bump that thread to new members please read....
    That was very informative and well put out,I think the mods and adm should keep that up at the top sooo many people ask similar questions and that was everything in a nut shell!
  5. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

Good Idea

I 2nd MYLITTLESCOOP"S idea !!
  6. GeorgeNTeri

GeorgeNTeri Junior Member

RE: looking for info {George again}

Thanks for the information that I received but I am still up in the air on putting the plow on a expidetion, as I said I was thinking about doing this as a business in the future. But for now I would like a thought on the truck and type of plow? My other vehicle is a 78 Explorer that i will be working on this summer I have to replace both a gas line and some break lines on would this be a better vehicle for a plow?

Thanks again to all George