1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie looking for part for an 8' FISHER Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by westernmdlawn, Nov 5, 2003.

1. westernmdlawn

westernmdlawn Member

Hey All - this site and Lawnsite.com are both awesome. I cannot believe I am just now finding these sites. This is my first attempt at snow removal this season. My plow truck will be an 89 Ford F250 V-8 351ci. It is 4wd, and is the Heavy Duty version I believe, but am not positive. Heres the deal... I found an older fisher complete plow package. I'm trading an old dirtbike for it. It is on a 1986 Dodge Ram 250. The plow uses the old belt driven hydraulic pump under the hood. It is not electric. The plow is an 8' trip edge design with 6 reinforcement braces behind the plow blade and 4 trip springs. Pretty heavy plow I believe. I want to move it over to my ford so I know I need the following: a new pump mounting bracket and other misc. hardware for that, an undercarriage frame bracket that the plow mounts to.
    I can use the existing "A-frame" which the lights and lift actuator sit on. It will bolt onto the new undercarriage bracket. My question is this: A new Fisher undercarriage bracket will cost around $450.00, is that a good price, and is it possible for me to make the bracket on the Dodge fit with a torch and some fabrication? I guess I'd have to look at the bracket carefully and see if it will be possible. Does anyone know where I could find a cheaper alternative?
    Cant wait till it snows here in Western Maryland!!!
    Thanks guys
  2. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

with a torch and welder anything is possable;)
  3. westernmdlawn

westernmdlawn Member

Very True... What are your opinions of these older style plows. I don't see why they don't make them anymore? They are fast, reliable, and don't drain the electrical system at all. Also, there are no expensive wiring harnesses necessary.

Also - one other thing: How are the plow lights supposed to work? Are they supposed to come on/off when the headlights do? Or are they supposed to be switched seperately. Also, are they supposed to flash or anything. Finally, is it required that you have warning beacon light on the roof while plowing?
    Thanks guys!
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

The old plows are great.I wouldn't bother trying to butcher the Ford frame to fit the Dodge.Get the right one,and everything will bolt right on,and you don't have to worry how long it will last.

The older style plows had a switch which allowed you to switch between the truck lights and the plow lights.The control was still through the headlamp switch.