1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie looking for information...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by atomiclighting, Jan 25, 2005.

1. atomiclighting

atomiclighting Junior Member

Hello to all, right off the bat I'd like to say this forum is awesome, a lot of good information here to help out a newbie such as myself. I am looking to get started in the plowing biz and I need some guidance from the pro-plowers in the community to help get me started.

First off, my truck. I am planning to use my 98 Chevy K1500 4x4 extended cab p/u as my plow truck. Do you think this truck will work ok for plowing? I am only looking to pick up a few small accounts my first year. Nothing big like commercial lot's. The truck has a V8 5.7L gas engine and 130K miles. It is in good mechanical shape other than the intake gasket that I need to replace yet!

Next, the plow. I am leaning toward the Blizzard 760lt. Looks like it is about 550 lb plow minus the mount. Would this be ok on this truck?

And then, what to charge $$$? How do I go about charging customers for my plowing? Do I charge an hourly rate? A flat fee per visit? What if I am only at an account for a 1/2 hour, do I still charge a $50.00/hr min charge? Is $50.00 to cheap for plowing per hour?

Any information you could provide me about these questions would be awesome. Thanks in advance for the help! :help: