1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

newbie looking for advise

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Djg, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Djg

Djg Junior Member
    from CT

i just recently bought a plow for my truck. I'm looking to plow residential driveways and small parking lots. what is the best way for me to my name out there to get business and how should i go about pricing? Any advise/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

First off you need more than just a plow. You will need the proper insurance. You need to decide how much your costs will be? Will you be salting? How far are you willing to travel? How are you going to charge?

As far as getting your name out, it is all leg work. You can try flyers' for driveways. An add on craigslist. There are many ways to drum up work if you put the time in to go find it.

I would suggest subbing for someone else to start out. Gives a chance to work with some one with experience.

Just my .02

3. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

I started with my ATV plowing the neighbors and a few folks around the block. Now I have a truck. Mainly because I needed something I could bring my daughter with me if I had too. lol Otherwise, Id still have the quad!

But I would start off small. Go knock on doors, work in like a 5 mile radius. You might have to do this for a couple years, then expand out. Word of mouth will carry you a good ways also. Give a block discount. Other guys on here wont like this, but if you stay around your area and do drives, you can get away with undercutting competition. Mainly cause you wont have insurance and overhead as others have. This could land you some good gigs. You will no matter what have to start small and work your way up.

4. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

that would be fine till you crashed through a garage door, someone slip and fell, sideswiped a car, or the pile of snow melted and caused water damage in the foundation. I rather pony up $800 for insurance then lose everything I own.

5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

There should be a rule on this site about offering bad advise. Never tell anyone to plow and cut pricing by not paying for insurance. That is about the dumbest advice that can ever be given!

6. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

It was more of the truth rather than advise. You and I both know it happens.

7. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

Obvisouly the guy does not have $800 if he just got a plow setup and don't know how to drum up business. Why would someone go in the hole that deep?

8. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

cmon we spend that on salt in a day. lol.

Even so you only have to put a few hundred down and it replaces your personal auto. If you have a good driving record there the same price. I forgot to add in General Liability too but thats only another $500 or so. It helps me sleep at night. Worth every penny to me.