1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie looking for advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Lancer, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Lancer

Lancer Junior Member

Hi guys,
    I'm looking for advice from anybody here who has an opinion. That should cover almost everybody here:D

I own a self serve carwash. Last year, the guy who had plowed my lot for over 20 years quit the biz and sold his accounts. The new guy promptly doubled the price per push from $50 to $100:eek: . The 100% increase may or may not be justified but I thought it to be excessive being as how it takes on average 30-45 min. to do the lot. I'm a stubborn sort of guy so I looked for another contractor.........no luck, everyone I talked to said they had more work than they could handle (nice problem to have).

Since I already own a 2002 Chevy short bed, reg cab 4X4, I've decided to buy a plow and do it myself. Did I mention that I'm a stubborn sort of guy?;) I have no plans to go into the plowing biz but I'm sure friends and family will hit me up for help when the times come. I have always had a hard time saying no to people that are important to me so I'm sure I'll be plowing more than I would like.

I got prices on
    Meyer ST 7.5 steel..................$4193 +tx installed,
    Western UTP 75 Pro steel ......$4458 +tx installed,
    Boss Super Duty 7.5 steel.......$4244 +tx installed

These are three brands sold locally so I'll be choosing one of these. I have no knowledge of plows except for what I've read in the last week or so. After studying the brochures, I'm leaning toward the Boss, the Western is a close second, the Meyer I found to be rather unimpressive after looking at the other two.

Opinions?

Are these plows more than I need?

The dealer would not budge on the prices which surprised me. Are the prices in line and fair?

Will my pick up handle these plows with no major problems?

Any guidance you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I would get a 8.+ for your full size truck It can handel it just fine.
    Some floks will tell you a 7.5 is fine as a 8.+ is just a few inches wider.
    Then why not get a 6.5 then??

The reason is productivity and when you turn the 7.5 will not clear a path wide enough . Your wheels will be running in the snow packing it down.

A few extra inches is all it takes to stop this.
    A 7.5 is a good with for a small to mid-size truck like a ranger or a s10.

Your dealer carries all 3 brands?
    Go somewhere else if they are not willing to deal with you at all.
    Do these prices include installation?

If the front sags when you lift the plow you can ether turn up the torsion bars a couple of turns
    The chevy guys can help you there or get a set of timbrens ether way.

Rember to add counter weight/ ballast too

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  3. Lancer

Lancer Junior Member

SnoFarmer
    Thanks for your coments.
    Yes, my dealer carries all three and recomends the Boss but is happy to sell me which ever one I choose.
    Installation is included.

I got a price on the Meyer from the next closest dealer 40 miles away, he was only $50 less after some haggling, not worth my time and effort. I don't mind paying a bit more to buy local.......just don't want to get reamed.:)

4. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Just wondering as most dealers only carry one or two brands.

Which plow do you like best?
    There not priced to far apart so don't let price be the deciding factor.

See what his prices are for the 8fters?
    Also take a look at how much they weight too.
    Is your chev a 1500 or a 2500
    I prefer the Boss ;)

5. Lancer

Lancer Junior Member

My truck is only a 1/2 ton, thats why I think I'm going to stick with 7.5 ft. As I mentioned I have no plans to get into the plowing biz so productivity is not a huge factor as long as I can get my carwash lot plowed in a reasonable amount of time.
    I liked the Western but I'm leaning toward the Boss, the Meyer is out unless someone here convinces me otherwise. I like the SmartHitch on the Boss and it seems to me to be much more heavy duty that the Meyer......plus a couple hundred cheaper than the Western.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I know you said you're stubborn, but think about what you're doing. You're spending over $4000 plus the wear and tear on the truck's front end, fuel, maintenance and your time to save $100 a trip. Now assume your area gets snowfall to warrant five trips a winter - that's saving $500 a year. It will take nine or more years just to break even financially. Not really too good of a ROI.

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo Senior Member
    from nw ohio

where are you in fremont....

i might be interested in doing it for you at the old price///////

50.00 per push. im about 15 min away from fremont

9. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

for three k you can buy a beater truck with a plow. course then you have another vehicle to deal with. Another option would be to ask the dealer if he has any used plows he took on trade that he could install for cheaper money. for what you are saying you plan on doing with it i dont think you need to spend four or five k. you also dont need to adapt your truck with timbrens or anything else some people will tell you that you should do. you dont want to screw with your truck or spend lots of cash for what you are doing, it is a regular driver 99.9% of the time. i would just put on a cheap AND LIGHT duty plow. A small lot and a couple driveways isnt that much work and it wont take much of a plow to get it done. It will take some time to recoup the investment and i encourage you to find somone else to service your needs that is more reasonably priced. however i understand there is something to be said for being independent and self sufficient.

since your truck isnt a longbed or extended cab a 7 1/2 should be fine to keep the back wheels from running over the snow when turning. just find a light one.

10. Lancer

Lancer Junior Member

Mick
    You are making a very good point. There are also tax advantages to be figured in. I know that the plow can be depreciated, I think over 7 yrs., I haven't checked with my accountant yet about the truck....I may also be able to depreciate that.

Of course then there is the "big boys toys" factor.:D

11. Lancer

Lancer Junior Member

12. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I agree with bribrius. I would look into used plows. I picked up my used western uni. for about $1200 total. This will be my 3rd year plowing with it. Granted I do not do lots with it that often and only have maybe 10 driveways I do, the plow works great, and up until the end of last season, it worked flawlessly. No major problems. I have it on my 97 gmc 1500. No Timbrens or air bags. Just the stock truck with towing pack. Truck handles it great and pushes like crazy. No problems yet with the front end either (banging my knuckles against the desk as I type). 7.5 is a good size to start out with and if you desire a wider plow later, you can just add wings.

Tom

13. Lancer

Lancer Junior Member

bribrius

You also make some good points.
    I'm not interested in buying someone else's problems. Time is getting short, snow will be flying soon, being new to plows, I don't want to deal with a learning curve on how to fix a 5 -10 year old plow. I'll buy new or I won't buy.

I am wondering if the Super Duty plow is more than I need however I'm thinking the resale value would be better than the Boss Standard Duty in 10 years when I plan to retire. Does that make sense?

14. Lancer

Lancer Junior Member

daveintoledo
    E-mail me, we'll talk.

todmoss@NOSPAMyahoo.com

Remove NOSPAM.

15. bribrius

not really.. how about the sport duty? in ten years all plows arent worth much. if your that worried about the money on trade in then why so quick to not buy a used plow instead?

im sure you can have someone look it over for you right from this site just to make sure you would be okay with it. lots of used plows are barely used at all. some people buy them and only use them three times a year over a couple years. that isnt much use.

im not very familiar with boss but i know they make quality plows. if it were me i would find the lightest cheapest one i could find that would do the job. as long as you stay with a good name brand even the lighter plows are built to last. easier on the wallet. easier on the truck. are you planning on doing lots of plowing? is that you concern? for what you said previously the sport duty plow would get it done.

16. Novi plow boy

Novi plow boy Member

Personally I would only buy a Boss, I have had a meyer and i do not like how the light setup is compared to the boss. Some of my friends run westerns and they do a great job but with a boss it has the hookup setup that no one compares to and the hydralics are really fast. Weather you get a Boss or Western you will be happy with both and get many years of use out of it.

17. Lancer

Lancer Junior Member

bribrius
    I think your right, the Sport Duty would be more than adequate for what I need but not the best deal. I called to check on prices, here is what I found.

Boss Sport Duty 7.5' poly w/SmartHitch installed................$3996 +tx.
    Boss Standard Duty 7.5' steel w/SmartHitch installed.........$4106 +tx.
    Boss Super Duty 7.5' steel w/SmartHitch installed...............$4244 +tx.

The Super Duty is only $248 more than the Sport Duty. When you compare the two plows, I don't know why anyone would choose the Sport Duty. There looks to be a world of difference to me.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  18. bribrius

weight.
    450 lbs. compared to 650 lbs. + (including mounts)

bigger isnt always better. especially for your vehicle. you truck would take either. just a matter of how much stress you want to put on it and if you want to buy parts. i dont see the point in stressing your truck and having to tamper with it. if you think you need the super then i guess you might want to consider air bags, or timbrens. maybe some serious ballast in the back to off set the weight of the plow. the super is higher too so will block more air from your radiator when driving. may want to consider a cooling fan upgrade if it becomes a issue. also with the extra weight on a half ton you will want to take the plow off asap after you plow. dont go driving around with it too much. should add ten or fifteen lbs. of air in the tires for winter too since the weight will make the truck tires squat. do you really need to deal with all that though?
    seems easier to buy the one better suited for your needs and the truck. if you need the heavier plows then buy one of them.

19. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

LOL make up your mind:dizzy:
    Your one of the guys that keeps telling me it is fine to plow with a 1500 when I tell people to use a 2500.

Hear I'm telling a guy who already has a suitable truck ie a short box,std cab even if it is a 1500 it can still plow.
    I have never said they can't but some if not all folks would be better off with a 2500.
    That being said.
    All he is plowing is his own drive, his own small lot and maybe some friends.
    Now shop around you can get a 8.2 plow that will work just fine lots of guys run the same setup.

As for ballast you should always take it seriously.
    I use any where from #800 to 1k or more.

Yes, timbrens are a good addition to any plow truck
    be it a 1500 or 2500 3500 plow truck.
    Front and rear.

Maybe he should just hire someone to do after it's all more work;)

20. Lancer

Lancer Junior Member

bribrius
    You've brought up a number of issues that I need to give some thought to, your imput, as well as the rest of you guys, is very much appreciated. This is why I posted and asked for advice. Thanks