1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie. Looking at buying my first plow. What do you think of this?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by nstarkey, Oct 25, 2010.

1. nstarkey

nstarkey Junior Member

Hello everyone,
    I have ran a successful handyman business for the last 6 years. I have many customers. Sometimes the winter can be slow. I have been getting excited about getting into the snow removal business. I know next to nothing about plowing snow. I am a bit nervous. I grew up driving every form of farm machinery possible so I think I should be fine.
    I drive an 08 Ford F150 4x4. I have been told not to put a plow on it. It may not be enough truck to get the job done. It may also cause extra wear..fast. Is this correct?
    I have found a 92 Chevy K3500. Its a 350 v8, 4speed, auto, 4x4.
    New plugs and wires, MAP sensor, brake lines, caliper, rotors, pads, fuel tank, lines, pump, filter, 3" heavy duty exhaust system with flow masters. Tires are good. 4:11 gears and posi rear end. Truck looks to be in good shape. Im sure it has high miles.
    It comes with a 8' western unimount plow with pro wings. Plow looks to be in good shape as well.
    He is asking $4,600.00
    I would mainly be doing residential drives.
    Which option would you go with and why?
    Thanks so much.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If the frame and body are solid on that Chevy, sounds like a fair price. Is it a dually or SRW (single rear wheel).

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Like 2COR517 said if that Cevy 3500 has a solid frame and body that would be a good truck for you.

4. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

Hey Im close to you in Iowa. Why buy someone else's headache. Your truck will handle a 7'6" straight blade easily. Snowdogg makes a good plow with warranty. HMS sells them right in Omaha. He is a plow guy and a great mechanic. Give Jason a call 402-850-3569. Good luck.

5. yamahatim

yamahatim Senior Member

I would go with the Western HTS 7.5' plow. I had one on my 2004 F-150 and it handled everything I threw at it, from residential to light commercial. I now have it installed on my 2010 F-150 and can't wait for snow!! You can find those plows around $3500-3800.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

your truck will handle a blade just fine

7. nstarkey

nstarkey Junior Member

Thanks for all the help. There is nothing better than talking to professionals.

I did call Jason. He recommended a 7'6" snow dog for around 3600.00 installed.
    Thats a grand less than my other option. Not to mention insurance on another truck plus the cost of putting plates on it, storage.
    Im thinking thats the way to go now. I hate buying old stuff and spending time and money repairing it. Nobody pays me to fix my own crap.
    Thank you all. If it doesnt snow this year, you can all blame me.

8. skimastr105

skimastr105 Member

Look at sno-way plows. the 26 and 29 series should work just fine on your truck. One of the nicest things about them is the downpressure option. It makes pulling snow away from buildings soooo much easier. I have an 8' 29 series on a '93 GMC 1/2 ton and it does just fine.

They are good strong blades, but relatively lightweight too.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you decide to put a blade on your truck, I would also recommend the Snoway, or SnowDogg.

10. eric02038

eric02038 Senior Member
    from MA

If the SnowDogg dealer is close by, I would go with that. Nothing worse than when you need a part and can't find a dealer close by. Does that dealer also sell Fisher? I have a fisher SD on my F150 and love it.

11. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

no yellow! jk just get a nice plow for a half ton, i run a boss 7'6 super duty on mine and it has eatten everything i have throw at it except rail road tracks!!:realmad:

12. nstarkey

nstarkey Junior Member

Thanks for the help.

How well does a snow dogg backdrag? Doing residential, I assume most of my time will be spent back dragging.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you are doing a lot of backdragging Snoway would be a better choice. The Down Pressure works wonderfully when backdragging. Though it would be moreup front money then the Snowdogg it is an investment that could easily pay for itself in time savings.

14. jmullins6987

jmullins6987 Junior Member

alot of good deals for sno-way's on ebay. you should check them out.