1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie Jeep TJ Plower

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by kcm10883, Jan 9, 2011.

1. kcm10883

kcm10883 Junior Member
    from NJ

hey guys im from NJ and i just picked up a meyers 6.5' plow for my 06 Jeep TJ...i got it for a steal (1500) and it was used on this lady's jeep and she told her husband it was ugly n to take it off and was said to be used twice or something...got all the controls wiring etc with it including the mount but it was missing one thing. The toggle switch??? to switch my headlights to the lights on the plow. Would it be best to just go to a pep boys or something and pick up a cheap little toggle switch or is there a specific one i need to work with the plow?...Like i said im a newb with this whole plowing thing, ive used a bobcat but never plowed. Anyway all suggestions are greatly appreciated thank you

Kyle

2. yamahagrizzly

yamahagrizzly Member

is the toggle a on-off-on (high-off low) or is it simply a on off? either way to to your local auto parts store and buy one. just make sure its the right 1.

and a tip for you. if the wires you are hooking up dont have a eye or a "fork" end put one on. you dont want to be driveing at night and a wire fall off and you loose your lights.

3. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

You will be able to source one from the auto parts store.

First, it needs to be heavy duty (30 amp)

Second, it needs to be on-off-on type. (Truck lights-off-plow lights)

4. kcm10883

kcm10883 Junior Member
    from NJ

I have hid lights with only low beams no high beams would I still need on off on switch
    ?

5. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

In the plow lights or the Jeep stock housings? I currently only run low beams on my plow lights and dont have any issue. I know for me its very very rare that I turn my highbeams on during a snow storm or when plowing as the light reflecting on the snow blinds my vision even more.

6. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

On off on. So that you can switch from truck lights- off - plow lights.

This will allow you to control your lights from your OEM switch. As in hi and lo function. It will require relays, and extensive wiring.

An easier solution would be to just wire the plow lights to a toggle and relay, like you would any auxiliary light, you could turn on your parking lights, flip the plow light toggle on and go. The bonus to this, you could also turn on your truck lights, and have double the lighting.

7. Aveerainc

Aveerainc Senior Member
    from NH

If you upgrade the controller and get rid of the touchpad you will not need a toggle switch for your lights...the upgraded controller switches them automatically.

8. kcm10883

kcm10883 Junior Member
    from NJ

thanks for all the replies guys..i have one more question for you. Im missing the starter selenoid for the plow without this the plow pump constantly runs..obviously i must go to a meyer dealer and get the part but my question is approximately how much it will cost also i have custom HID headlights in the jeep and i need the plow for the storm TOMORROW and the wiring looks like its gonna be a weekend job and or a professional job and i was also wondering what the cost might be to wire all of it up professionally

Thanks for the speedy replies
    Kyle

9. BigDBoots

BigDBoots Senior Member

10. kcm10883

kcm10883 Junior Member
    from NJ

ok good deal picked up the solenoid im gonna get it on tonight and test it out before it starts coming down..cross my fingers..i spoke to the meyer dealer in shrewsbury on the ride up the from the shore today and they had told me im going to need to hardwire my plow lights to my battery then get and aux light switch and run them as if they would roll bar lights or some other aux light...seem right?

11. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Yeah that's the simple way I was trying to explain.

12. kcm10883

kcm10883 Junior Member
    from NJ

what a S****Y night...plow wiring got all messed up around 2:30 am..actually ended up taking to smith brothers other brother at ACIS welding and ended up be a wire not grounded correctly. Now, everytime i push my clutch pedal in it screetches like a son of a *****. any ideas?

13. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Most likely throughout bearing or pilot bearing