1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie in one aspect

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by russ130, Dec 9, 2008.

1. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Ok I'm a newbie only so far as this year I'll be using my own equipment. I have a 78 chevy 3/4 ton with the camper package and a fisher 8' conventional plow. The truck has a fresh $6000 motor in it and fresh rebuilt turbo 350 tranny. The plow works perfect and I replaced all the bolts before reading I should do that. So I guess I can be anal about my equipment but truth is I've been on the ground in the middle of a snow storm because of broken bolts, clevis pins and the sort. The last 3 years I've been doing the last part of 91 south in MA and up to the first exit on 291. Both plowing and salting. Before that I was in a 1 ton doing commercial lots. I'm going to admit it, I'm a little nervous about plowing with my own equipment and while getting prepared for the up coming season I'm hoping I haven't forgotten anything. I'm only doing driveways this season with the exception of one gas station. I expect to make little to no money so anything better is pure cream. So here is the big question, can you guys suggest things I may have overlooked? What spare parts should I keep on hand for my setup? And the biggest of all, what is the minimum amount of snow before you plow? Realize before I just did what I was told and with the state you just sit there through out the whole storm even if you don't have to plow at all.
  2. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

not directed at you...but the Springfield area roads are the worst ever when it comes to being plowed.
    went to school out there there would be feet on roads 2 days after a storm
  3. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Yes they are horrible to the fact that I would use my state plow setup to do my neighborhood. Funny as hell to see the city contractor come around the corner and scratch his head cuz the roads where plowed and salted already. lol Like I said I only did the highway which is state work not city.
  4. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

I'll ask one more question here instead of starting another thread. What are you guys charging on average for just salting or calcium as in an ice storm? Do you figure it on a square footage basis or on an assumed time to be spent? Which I would think goes hand in hand for the most part.
  5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I didn't read any of the posts cause I'm still baffled on how you spent $6000 on a small block:eek:
  7. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

To make a long story short its built to the hilt and virtually indescructable. It pushes over 500 ft lbs of torque. Yes in retrospect I should have bought a 520 BB but oh well live and learn.
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Welcome to the site and if you read through the forums you will find what people recommend to carry for parts for both plow and truck.
  9. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Yes I did read through but was more interested in specific things for the fisher plow. Are they prone to breaking certain parts and things of that sort? I'm not worried about the truck as I won't be far from home so any parts are only a phone call away. But if say a particuliar bolt always shears on Fisher conventional plows it would make sense to carry a bunch of those and the tools to change it as opposed to carrying all kinds of parts that I could easily call for in the unlikely event they break. I see a lot of people listing everything but the kitchen sink truth is that is ridiculous. Better to make sure you have the proper clothing to deal with the elements than carrying every imaginable part on board. I can see having all these parts on hand at the shop or home.
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Fishers have a pretty good reputation for being tough and reliable. If you've replaced all the bolts, that's a good start. Check your hoses. If you want to be extra sure, you could carry one or two spares that would be long enough to fit in any position. Or replace them all and keep an old one in the truck. Spare fluid is good to have also.

I do have to say this, and this is simply MY opinion. Old Chevy's are great trucks. If I had one that was nice enough to put a 6K motor in it, the VERY LAST thing I would be doing is plowing with it. Salt is a killer. Plus, a moster motor is probably not the best for plowing. Too much power just means you can get stuck that much faster. You may want to throw a couple of u-joints behind the seat. And all the idle time is really going to suck down some fuel.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Let's here more about the 500ft/lbs torque small block. Some specs? rotating assembly, cam, compression, heads/valve sizes, valve train, intake, carb/efi. What kind of timing are you running to run it on pump gas? What stall converter are you running? Any dyno sheet? I know when I've spent that kind of money on an engine I've had her dyno'd
  12. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

I didn't start out trying to build 500 ft/lbs but when the machine shop decked it down to 9.000" I really didn't have a choice. The tab where the serial numbers usually are now just has '000' stamped. The idiot thought I wanted to build a full race motor cause it was a high alloy block and I wanted all this extra machine work done on it like line boring and squaring the decks. Truth be told I just wanted it done right.

2COR517 - I definitely agree but it is what it is and for now its what I have next year I'll have something a little newer.

theplowmeister - I was making $20/hr under the table. Working hourly for someone else does not pay the same as working for yourself generally. Granted there are no worries and when your truck goes down so what you still get payed. It sucks sitting around the yard waiting to be told what to do too.
  13. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

How did you like plowing state roads? once you get some snowfall can you compare it to how you like plowing residential
  14. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Sure I'd be happy to let you know how they compare.