Snow Plowing Forum banner

Newbie in New England

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  justme- 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Great site, lots of good info in here... this is going to be my new best friend, next to edit by Charles :)

I have a 2002 F350 SRW 5.4 V8. I was researching plows, narrowed down to two of them Curtis & Fisher. Finally went with Fisher 8' HD minute mount 2, with a bolt on steel edge and a hand held controller ($4100 installed).

My friend at work started out plowing for a town in Massachusetts, and he has been a great resource of information for me. I want to start out small, working for someone else while I learn the ropes and pitfalls that are out there.

I am looking to start out around my home in Epping, NH and build up some experience.

A couple of initial questions:

1. What additional insurance do you carry on your truck?

2. Would you go with a small town job or with a contractor?

3. What do you do with your plow in the off season? (cover it, store it, spray it and leave it?)

I feel I already owe a few of you a beer or two!
:drinkup:

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats and welcome.
You want personal liability insurance, probabily a $1 mil policy- talk to your insurance agent, explain what you want to do and ask what they suggest.

Either option could be a good one, tho plowing for the town you'll be doing roads which are a world of difference from lots and driveways. Depends on what you want to do in the future. a town gig is a good one to have IF the pay is right. City here pays crap and won't even hire a contractor unless it's a 2.5Ton Dually dump 10' blade setup. The road plowing will get you some experiance, but it will still be a learning curve going to lots and such, the pitfalls so many of us face will not be evident to you contracted to a town either. I would suggest talking to a contractor and trying to sub for one for this year. Try to learn as much as possible- maybe even ride with some of the experianced drivers for a few storms (even for free which it will most likely be) for the opertunity to learn. Even volunteering to help shovel walks on the route would be worth the education.

I reccomend riding with someone at least several storms (each storm is different too remember) before you try plowing yourself.

My plow sits in the yard, sometimes covered, most of the time not. Grease the cylinders (the chrome parts) to protect against rust, use silicone spray on all the moving parts after each storm, wash it with the truck afer a storm. Pretty much summs it up. Search the forum for more info on plow maintenance and off season maintenance- there is already alot of good info.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.