1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie in Mass

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by demoderbydave, Sep 26, 2012.

1. demoderbydave

demoderbydave Junior Member

Hi everyone...I am new here trying to learn a bit about my first plow purchase.

I picked up a complete Fisher MM1 7.6 LD (i think) set up that came off a 97 K1500 and that is the exact truck I have as well. I got everything: complete plow assy,wiring,control switch, and push plates for $650.00. I went with a buddies truck who is set up for the same set up to get it. I tested it and it does everything it should do. It is in REAL nice shape. There is no rot on the plow...just some peeling paint.

I bought it from a car dealership who had it on their lot truck (which they bought new with this plow) which eventually rusted away from sitting in the yard for years except when it snowed. Based on what I have seen I think I got a REAL good deal.

I have a few questions. There is no cutting edge on it. It doesn't appear they ever used one. Do you NEED to run one? My "expert" buddies say you don't...Do they come with the plow setup when you buy it or is it an option? I only plan on plowing my driveway, my parents and a few neighbors...ect. It is basically just a toy for me... I ALWAYS said "the day I buy a snowplow it will NEVER snow again" . If that turns out to be the case then that was the BEST money I ever spent! (I HATE SNOW!)Thumbs Up

There is a wire labeled DRL which is for the daytime running lights I assume. does anyone know where that connects to under the dash?

I also want to repaint the blade...Fisher gets about 100 bucks for a gallon of it :cry:
    Any ideas on something a bit cheaper? Do you guys brush/roller/spray it on? Any good Fisher dealers in Central Mass?

I thank you for any info...I appreciate it!
    If this forum is anything like the Honda Goldwing one I am in I will love it here! :waving:
    Dave

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

hi Dave, welcome to the forum!
    yes, that's sounds like a great deal to me. yes, on the Fisher blades they have an extra long base angle (the trip edge part), and they have bolt holes for a cutting edge to use after the base angle wears down. kind of an odd way to do it, but that's what they do. so if it's still on that base angle and has never had a wear bar bolted to it yet, then it hasn't been used very much in all those years. You'll want to put one on before it wears too close to those bolt holes.
    as for paint, it wouldn't be anything special, just acrylic enamel. normally sprayed on.
    I'll let somebody that knows more about the wiring answer that question....
    have a good day!

3. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

welcome to the forums!

4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

1997 trucks dont have daytime running lights so there is no where to hook it up and if it did it goes to the drl lights. Rustoleum sunburst yelow about 30 for a gallon you will use about half. Brush it on but also use there rusty metal primer. You will never be able to wear the base angle doing driveways dont worry about it.

5. demoderbydave

Brad,
    Thanks for the replies guys! Now I just have to find who sells the paint. Home Depot maybe?
    I have to disagree with you one one point...my 97 does have daytime running lights. I am not that worried about figuring that out though. So if you guys say I don't need a cutting edge then I won't worry about it! I just have to get my Camaro back on its wheels and off my lift so I can mount / wire it up !

6. brad96z28

Ive never hooked up at set to be honest. They did not even come out with the modules capable of using drl til 99. Home depot is the best place to buy that paint it I think I have gotten it at bennys as well.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  7. demoderbydave

I stopped at Home Depot today and picked up some paint. Hopefully I can find some time to play with it this weekend. Thanks for all the help!

8. brad96z28

No problem. Have fun.

9. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yes, Chevy started drl's in 96. even the old relay wiring had a provision for it (single pink wire). but it's not necessary to hook it up.

10. demoderbydave

You are correct sir!
    I am just wondering if that pink wire goes to a switched 12V source to make the plow lights light all the time like the oem DRLs do. I assume thats how it works...but I figured I would ask. :)

11. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

ok, so this is relay wiring? then yes the pink wire (which should have a 5amp fuse in-line) goes into a switched circuit, and to the 86 terminal on both relays (instead of the brown wire from the harness).

12. demoderbydave

Do you still have to connect the parking light wire? (Brown wire)
    My parking lights on the plow are not lit so I assume I do. The instructions are very vague...

13. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yea, the park and turn lights would always need to be spliced in, on any plow on any truck.

14. demoderbydave

According to the wiring manual it states the brown wire is not used when the pink one is... But I agree with you. I will hook it up and try it.
    Thanks for everyone's help!

15. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yea, the part of the brown wire that has spade connectors to go on the relays is the part you don't connect. the end that you splice into the park light wire still needs to be hooked up.

16. demoderbydave

So THAT'S what they mean about the brown wire is not used... I appreciate all your help!

17. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

:) you're welcome buddy

18. demoderbydave

I got everything working properly! Again thanks for the help guys!

19. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

awesome! Thumbs Up

20. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

Post up some pics :)