1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie!! I need help choosing a plow!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sulkyracer, Nov 29, 2004.

1. sulkyracer

sulkyracer Junior Member

Hey Guys.........I have read alot about plowing on this site and now need some educated help. I wanted to begin plowing this year for the first time. I asked a couple of local guys. Because we are in the suburbs of NYC they said I might want a Fisher plow, because there are alot private driveways, it would be the best for back dragging. Mostly because of the weight I believe. When I went to inquire about one is when my education began.

I have a :

2004 Dodge Ram 2500
    Diesel engine
    4x4 / Quad cab
    Extended 8 foot bed

I was told with this truck the Fisher and Western commercial grade plows were not available to me. I believe Meyer and Diamond(same company correct?) may have an 8' commercial grade compatible with my truck.

Is this info I have so far correct????
    And are there any other options I may want to explore????

Thanks in Advance
    Tony

ps My other real job is Embroidery/Silk Screening. If you guys need me to look over prices or contribute in some way to the clothing thing, don't hesitate to ask.

2. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

There is a plow available for your truck from every manufacturer. Some will not sell them though because technically the diesel weighs too much to add a plow to the front.

I would get a 8' X-Blade if you decide to go with Fisher :nod:

3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

This is not really a problem on 04 Dodge as they have the strongest front axle of any P/U at the moment. Dodge upgraded the axle in 03

4. chevyshovelin

chevyshovelin Junior Member

I myself like 7.6 foot but it all depends on what your plowing,My old 8 foot blades would not fit through drive through banks because of curbs,,even at full angle,,curbs suck.too narrow,,also fast food joints known for this,I have a 04 chev 1/2 tn with 7.6 rd love it.

5. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

I have a 2003 Dodge 2500HD 4x4 (non-diesel) with an 8' Fisher minute mount plow. Truck handles the plow no problem, real solid. Your truck should be able to handle at least an 8' plow!

If you are going to be doing just driveways I would recommend getting a plow that is smaller than 8'...some of the driveways I have are a little tight with my 8' plow.

Good luck!

6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

what front axle does dodge use now in thier 2500?

7. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Because of the length of wheel base I would not recommend a 7'6" plow. Your rear wheels will be driving through snow and the snow banks are going to cave in your door and body panels. I recommend the Blizzard 8'6" or the Blizzard 810.

8. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

Because you mentioned back dragging I would get a tow behind plow or a Sno-Way. The Sno-Ways have down pressure and I don't care what anyone says that is the best front blade for back dragging. I have plowed with fisher and now have a Sno-Way and trust me the fisher lost! :nod:

9. sulkyracer

sulkyracer Junior Member

Dodge says it's a no go

I went to the Dodge website and with my truck specifics, they rate it a N/R. Truck not recommended for snow plowing. Is that a warranty breaker or a suggestion?

10. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Your truck is sorta long for driveway plowing. The Fisher I had was poor at back dragging, The back side of the plow bottom has a lot of parts that snow sticks to which then drops off next time you plow forward laving a mess on the ground....