1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie here

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by padec21, Nov 7, 2008.

1. padec21

padec21 Member
    from ct

First time poster here. I recently upgraded my truck from a lifted F150 mud toy to a F250. I mainly use the truck for pulling a camper and side jobs (carpenter). However this truck came with a Fisher minute mount plow 7.5' I believe. Its a 2001 F250 V-10 crew cab 4x4. auto. it has air bads in the rear. Nokien tires. not sure how much plowing it has done but it only has 50,000 miles on it. the truck is mint. I only plan on plowing my own driveway and a couple of neighbors. I have read about ballast in the bed of the truck. What should I use?
    Should I install one of those plastic blade scraper things?
    Anything else I should do to the truck to get it ready?
    Thanks again for any help.ussmileyflag

2. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

If you are only doing your drive and a few neighbors, I wouldn't worry about ballast, or wings for that point. I'm a little lost on the plastic blade scraper things??

3. padec21

padec21 Member
    from ct

I saw them on the Fisher sight. Something about them protecting the scraper blade and they are changeable.

4. padec21

padec21 Member
    from ct

My bad its a steel cutting edge not plastic. I dont know if I have one on there now. Also can I get a back blade for any plow. I believe I have the HD plow set up.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The plow should have the steel scraping edge on it. You may want to see how worn down it is.
    If you are talking a back drag edge for the plow I would just skip it for the amount of drives you are doing. It may take you a few more passes to get the drive clear tho.

6. padec21

padec21 Member
    from ct

I mainly want it for my drive to get closer to the garage door. The truck is on the long side being a CC.

7. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

i never really seen much good in the back scrapper blade...
    the only thing that works well for back dragging is down pressure but Snoway is the only one with dp
    a back blde might scrpe better because of its attack angle but the blade will still lift up over the snow that you just ran over

8. progressivelawn

progressivelawn Member

condsidee a backblade but can cost you allot

9. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

no not a blade on the back... like in your reciever hich those are junk

10. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

there is a blade that bolts onto the back of your moldboard. they shouldnt be too expensive probably about $200.00 maybe basher sells them

11. progressivelawn

progressivelawn Member

moldboard ahh back drag works well we have them and also are back blades are custom made they hook in 4 recievers there well built

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

if it's just your drive open the door and drop your blade inside.

Always run ballast