1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

newbie here

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by smokinspartan, Nov 24, 2004.

1. smokinspartan

smokinspartan Junior Member

i have a couple of basic questions, just got a plow, and ive never plowed before. i own a couple of commercial properties and each year ive been paying 7-9g to have them plowed and salted. i figure i should just do them myself and in one winter pay for the plow and some cash in my pocket. just spent 5g on a steel boss vplow 8.2ft. got the locking cylinders/curb guards/snow deflector/handheld control... the truck is a 2500HD. first ive been told to lower the plow when the truck is parked and not in use. when i lower do i lower all the way, to the point where the suspension raises up a bit on the front end? or just to the point where the plow touchs the ground. im asking cuz i figure lowering it will take stress of the hydradlics and seems like a good idea. when i lower the plow to the point where it doesnt go lower, it looks like the plow is lifting the front end up. is that what i want? or did i go to far? also, when i hold the down button for like 3 seconds it goes into float mode for uneven surface? does it glide on the payment and adjust itself up and down? how often do u guys use that? what other newbie tips should i know? any help is appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You're in a good situation and one of the rare examples of when I'd say it is worth it for you buying your own plow. If you're talking about parking your truck and plow, just lower all the way. The front end coming up is normal, it's simply taking the weight of the plow off it and the springs are coming back into position. Like when you go over a bump, the front end dips and comes back to original position. I'd say to start, put the plow in "float mode" every time you lower it. There may be times when you don't want it there, such as scraping hard-pack. But with a little experience, you'll figure that out. For now just use the float and you'll be fine.

Whether to lower the plow when parking or not is "debated" every once in awhile. Personally, I lower the plow every time I park for the same reason you state, but also to take the stress off the front end components of the truck. Whether you have it in float when you park is irrelevant, since as soon as you shut off the truck, it's inactivated the hydraulic system.

Any other questions, don't be afraid to ask. There's alway someone around wanting to help.