1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie here

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by slasky, Nov 7, 2010.

1. slasky

slasky Junior Member

I will be plowing for the first time this year. I got tired of snow blowing my driveway last year so I bought an 09 F250 to plow and tow with. I am only planning to pick up a couple of residential driveways around my house; mostly people I know. If I enjoy it I may expand next year or do some subbing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Nice set-up

You have a nice set-up. Pick up enough work to make it worth your investment. Snow will offer you a great opportunity to make some nice winter money. Don't forget about the ice melter side of this business. You will make more out of the back of that truck than you will in the front.

Good luck.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

nice rig
    start small and grow if you like plowing

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Nice set up. Like hydro 37 said start slow and if you enjoy plowing you can grow next Winter.

5. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

Don't forget to call your insurance agent and get coverage for snow plowing.

And even if you are just plowing for friends, sign a contract with them.

PayPal or ProPay are easy ways to get set up to take credit cards. This is a great way to get paid for residential, and saves you the nightmare of trying to collect late payments from friends.

Just a couple of tips. :) Nice looking truck.

6. slasky

slasky Junior Member

I added the plow onto my regular auto policy and they are OK with me plowing my own driveway. I was just hoping to pick up a couple of friends houses this year and see how it goes. If it is something I want to continue next year I will get the proper insurance.

7. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

It's not for me to tell you what to do. I can understand that you are just starting out dipping your toe in the water. But remember that, friends or not, if you plow for anyone other than yourself, it's a business and you have just jumped into a whole different category.

What happens if you accidentally damage someone's garage door, car, or heaven forbid, run over someone while plowing a friend and neighbor? Maybe you can afford to cover a few hundred dollars in property damage, but what about a couple of thousand? The plastic cars these days, a tiny little bump from a snow plow can easily cost a thousand or more to repair; and what about medical bills and liability if someone got hurt?

Most likely nothing will happen, but that's why they're called "accidents." I'm an optimist, but I also have a healthy respect for Murphy's Law.

Just my two cents . . .

8. slasky

slasky Junior Member

I will look into insurance costs and if it is reasonable then I will get it. However, NY is a non exclusion state for insurance. From what I understand that means my auto insurance has to cover me even if I am doing something they say I can't do. So I will have coverage but if I make a claim they will drop me.
    Realistically I bought the plow for my own personal driveway. If it is too much of a headache to do other driveways then I will just only do mine.

9. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Commercial auto insurance is never reasonable. Nothing in this business is reasonable ! lol
    If you are just doing your own driveway you don't need insurance. If you do others driveways as well, commercial auto and GL policy really is a good idea. I can list off a 1000 different reasons why you need commercial auto insurance and others here could add on 10,000 more. You are risking every thing you own by not having it.

10. slasky

slasky Junior Member

I have a call in to an insurance agent. The liability is about $50 a year if I add it to a $550 general contractor policy. I am waiting to hear back on the commercial auto policy.

11. slasky

slasky Junior Member

$1709 for commercial insurance and then $600 for liability. I think I will pass this year on the insurance. Most likely I will only be doing 4 driveways for friends anyway. If I find that I enjoy it and want to start advertising and picking up more driveways next year then I will get it. According to the agent, my regular auto insurance will cover me if I get into an accident plowing. However they will drop me after the accident. So the only thing I am risking is higher insurance premiums.

12. nekos

nekos Senior Member

You better get that in writing because there is no way in hell your regular auto insurance will cover ANY thing that happens while your plowing snow... Then again what do i and others that have been in this business for years know.

13. slasky

slasky Junior Member

I can't get it in writing because if they find out I am plowing then they will drop me. So at this point I have to say that I will only be plowing my own driveway. After I have experience with that then maybe I will try to drum up some customers and get the proper insurance.