1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie here to the site, Having trouble

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by hotrodfeguy, Dec 8, 2007.

1. hotrodfeguy

hotrodfeguy Junior Member

Hi everyone love the site. This is like a snowplow dream information area :blush2:
    I have a old 67 F-250 bigblock 4.56 gears and grear drive transfer. Going to rebody it.
    http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r264/hotrodfeguy/P9130424.jpg

I was cleaning my driveway and the plow will not go up down or side to side. Its a cable operated western. the pump runs but no movement in anyway. Any help on this I would be most gratefull. I am a mechanic but new to working on the pump/valve body. Replaced many a line and fitting on this plow over the past 16 years I have had it. Thanks for any help on this. :waving:

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

May seem obvious given your experience, but have you checked the hydraulic fluid level? Then checked all the connections for obstructions?

3. hotrodfeguy

Yes I did That was the first thing I checked(thanks). I have the pump motor buzzing but its not making any movements. I did a search and found the cable adjustment specs in the manual from the western site. And made the adjustments. The lowering and raising was a bit off. So cables are set up now. Any other ideas?

4. Mick

from Maine

Packing nut too tight??

I've never used cable operated plow, so don't really know.

5. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

check you fluid with the blade down. have you changed the fluid at all? or have you run it the whole time and only added fluid when it needed topped off? you adjusted the cables properly? it sounds like the cables are out of adjustment.

6. hotrodfeguy

I did adjust the cables, they are set to the manual I downloaded. One was off a bit. But its right on now. As far as the fluid goes, Yes I have to admit i have never changed it :dizzy: So I'll try that also is that pick up filter a steel mesh or paper? Should prolly change that as well.

7. hotrodfeguy

Well I feel like a tard :realmad:
    So with your advice I go out and check fluid well its was to the bottom of the threads. Well I was trying to pull a line to check flow. Well it would not come off. So I took out the torch heated up the line nipple fitting a bit, after warming it up came right off. But i look into the fiting and see tan creamy oil (not a good sign). After thinking for a minute the lite comes on. I was gone to Iraq for the past two years(winters). I wonder if moisture got in here? Pretty sure at this point. Well i heat up the case with the torch. Hot to touch feels about right. Hop in the truck and all movements work. Ok we are getting someplace. So next thing I remove fill plug and run the plow a bit to get some spillage. And see light brown almost car oil look(rust) with cream, I guess that would be it :D Yes I am a tard for not thinking of changing it. But glad to learn. Just wish I didn't feel like a complete idiot LOL :drinkup:

8. Mick

from Maine

Glad it worked out. I imagine everyone has had times like those, though, when you wonder "What the heck was I thinking?". I know I've had a few BFO's - Brilliant Flash of the Obvious.