1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie here,,Pro Help please .

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by diehrd, Dec 11, 2006.

1. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

05 Siera 2500HD, Ultra mount Pro plow. Plowed 1 driveway 4 times with it last year.

Problem,Can not mount or dismount plow with out having to wrestle and fight it on and off.

Solution attempt so far

Lubed up arms and reciever brackets no help.This problem has been from day 1 it is a night mare to drive onto or drive off the plow , getting off is worse you can backblade a driveway with hooks disengaged for gods sakes.

Took it back to the dealer UniCell in Rochester NY..His guy walked out looked at plow for a minute and says,,,Recievers are bent ! You need to buy these new ones at $234.00.The new ones dont even look like the ones I have currently.

I am more inclined to think
    A) The height was not properly set at origional install or has come out of whack
    B) The recievers have been changed by western to correct for mounting issues.

Can any one tell me what is the most likely case ? The dealer saying there bent Pay $234.00 Or my ideas A or B ...

I added a pic.The part in grey thats shown in animation is what I am told is bent,how likely is that ?

optimum_active.gif

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  2. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

Any one with any ideas ? I have plowed for residential clients for the last 8 years, Used the Uni mount system in the past with a 7.6 blade...That was easier to mount then this ultra mount.

3. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

why dont you measure the height of your truck, then see where they have the plow set now?

Visually see what side of the plow is getting hung up- are they bottoming out or are they hitting the top.

Sometimes I have a hard time if the plow is on hard ground because my truck is at the exact height beween 2 settings.

Also if you dont take your foot and step on the top of the stand, maybe those are set wrong too? There is a height adjustment for the stand as well.
    Simple test would be to put a piece of 1/2 or 3/4 ply under the stand and see if it helps, unless your height is too high- then I guess it would have the same effect.

4. StathemLawncare

StathemLawncare Member

I have a ultra mount MVP and have no problems at all. Check the height to your pin hole with the recievers off. I think it is suppose to be between 8 and 11 inches.If you need me to i can look.I installed mine myself and have all the books still.

5. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

there are 4 settings for the height

6. StathemLawncare

StathemLawncare Member

according to the book the distance from ground to pivot bar bolt must be 9-3/4" to 11-1/4". Hope this helps.

7. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

check out page 10, it explains the adjustments, if you scroll around you can see the whole deal- make sure your set up right. Im assuming you had the plow installed so I cant see why its wrong?
    Did you change tires or springs?

http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/66897_083104.pdf

8. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

QUOTE:why dont you measure the height of your truck, then see where they have the plow set now?

Visually see what side of the plow is getting hung up- are they bottoming out or are they hitting the top.

Sometimes I have a hard time if the plow is on hard ground because my truck is at the exact height beween 2 settings.

Also if you dont take your foot and step on the top of the stand, maybe those are set wrong too? There is a height adjustment for the stand as well.
    Simple test would be to put a piece of 1/2 or 3/4 ply under the stand and see if it helps, unless your height is too high- then I guess it would have the same effect.END QUOTE:

The problem i have is the plow assembly's weight NEVER off loads from the recievers,to mount the plow into the recievers I must lift the assembly with a 2x4 under blade and try to walk it into the recievers ,conversly to remove it I must lift plow with same 2x4 and by hand yank off plow or have my wife back the truck up while i push up with the 2x4

Thanks liny rob..Those directions I just printed and will check the plow in the morrning,I am betting all my nickles from day 1 this plow was never correctly height adjusted and this dealer telling me I bent boxed 1/4 inch steel recievers as if I hit curbs for years is himself on crack....

9. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

its about accountability.

im sure you would know if you hit something, unless you lend out your truck, but im betting its not set up right., the dealer should have at least checked your height to make sure. Im betting alot of them pre-assemble the plow without knowing the height of the truck.

page 11 gives you stand show heights also

10. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

I coipied page 10 and 11..It is still dark yet and I want to be positve about the height so I can look at the pivit pins setting.

I will be furious to the extream if this plow is set wrong and that dealer tried to sell me 234.00 in parts :realmad:

11. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

A guy down the street use to plow and had this problem 2 years ago, the plow was never adjusted right so it would bind up going on/off...I have a 5.5 inch lift with stock tires and mine hooks/unhooks with ease..good luck let us know how it turns out..
    Mike

12. MRUSSELL

MRUSSELL Member

I Have One Of These On My Yukon And It Is A Pita To Hook Up And Unhook I Park Mine Against A Wall In The Shop So I Can Just Drive Into It With Out The Wall I Could Push The Plow Down The Street With Out It Sliding Into The Mount , If You Look At The Front Of My Truck Looks Almost Like The Mounts Are Twisted I Do Not Know What To Do To Fix Mine Either And Mine Is Set At The Proper Height

13. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

try soft ground MRUSSEL

how long does it take to Type Like That?:dizzy:

14. liny rob

rob where you from on li?

15. MRUSSELL

MRUSSELL Member

LINY ROB sorry about the caps being on did not know people were so sensitive towards typing my bad:waving:

16. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

Update..The adjusters are set correctly , I measured as shown in the manual rob linked me 2. My height is 15 and 3/4 inches pins are set to adjustment 2 beveled side up.

Also the stands are not adjustable with any pin adjustment,there is only 1 hole for pin location on my stands.

I am at wits end, I would be greatfull if any one here knows if those recievers have been updated by western to correct a mounting issue like mine and as i read this thread a few others are having..ANYONE have pics of there recievers ? Mine are square at opening and taper down along there length.

Still frustrated in Rochester NY :realmad:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  17. boso_36

boso_36 Junior Member

know anyone with a ultra mount plow

do you know anyone with another plow that you could maybe just trade those pieces and try and hook it up. that might tell you if its in yours or not.....just a suggestion

18. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I am in Amityville.

Your stands only have one hole????

thats not right?
    I had to play with mine a little when I lifted the front end 2", before that I went with western's recomendation and it worked right out of the box.

After I had to make my own adjustment.
    Try setting the plow stands on a thin piece of plywood and see if it helps, if there is only one hole that just does not sound right because how would the stands be adjusted for the height of the truck????

MRUSSEL- just a bit hard on the eyes thats all

19. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

The stands have a Lower roll pin hole and no other pin holes for relocation.

The plow arm tip is hitting the top of reciever at about half way in and the underside of the plow arm is dragging onto the lower steel of the reciever at the same time. The plow arm is pointing up and digging into the reciever,,so I am thinking !

Setting of height at pin 2 is for 14.5 to 16.0 inches.I am at 15 and 3/4 inches which may be within the pin 2 setting BUT I am betting pin 3 setting of 16 to 17.5 inches would lift the plow enough so i can drive onto to arms with no binding,,,What do ya think ?

20. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

check the last post for pictures

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006