1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie here from Columbus. Some general ?s

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by paramountlawn, Jun 18, 2015.

1. paramountlawn

paramountlawn Junior Member

Hey all,

I am new to offering plowing for the coming winter. I recently got a 7.5 blizzard plow with the power hitch 1 and a salt dog spreader from a good friend and mowing client of mine all for trade for mowing services. I was already looking to purchase a truck with plow after last winter. I do alot of residential drives with snow throwers as well as two small commercial properties. I realized it was time to up my game and income.

Here are my ?'s

First i drive a 2001 ford f150 with a v8 5 speed long bed single cab. Now i know there is a lot of concern and arguing whether to use a 2wd vs 4wd. Mine is a 2wd. With looking for all the answers,, could my truck handle this plow?

I am currently looking to purchase a beater truck 4x4 or a flat bed, dump bed truck to use with the plow, but just in case i cant i would like to know. TIA

The plow i have did not come with the mount on the truck end. I have been to blizzards site to locate one. Is there any other places i may look for a used one. I tried ebay and craigslist already. I dont know what one i will need yet as i'm looking for a truck.

The plow came with everything but the feet. i know i can get these anywhere for relativity inexpensive. how necessary are they. I have seen some guys going with out them.

How do i charge for salt? I was thinking priced per pound spread.

Lastly, what are your opinions on the plastic cutting edges? The blade edge is decent on the blizzard but have not heard anything on the new material ones that are not metal

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I am currently looking to purchase a beater truck 4x4 or a flat bed, dump bed truck to use with the plow, but just in case i cant i would like to know.

That 7.5 would be way to small for ANY dually period. A regular truck it'll be ok.

As for your 4x4 question.....if your doing drives only, IMO your gunna need 4x4. Nothing worse then getting stuck in a customers drive.

What truck were you looking to get as the beater 4x4? And where are you located?

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Depends on your scope of work, poly edges are great if you pre-apply ice melt materials, are working rising temps or need to protect some type of seal coat but are not as efficient as steel edges on ice and hard pack.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

According to the title Columbus (I'm assuming OHIO;))

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

It's early, one eye was shut, other was not working.

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Well, I doubt you would make it anywhere in a 2x4 F150....the mount it self would be dragging, digging into the pavement before you left ur own driveway.

7. paramountlawn

paramountlawn Junior Member

Im in Columbus, OH looking for an older 90s model f250 or chevy 1500

8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I'm simply amazed with how many guys wonder if their 2wd half ton will work for plowing. It seems this topic is common during the spring/summer.

Glad to see you're looking for a proper piece of equipment.

9. ajesmer0105

ajesmer0105 Junior Member

You must have the proper equipment to charge the proper price. the weight of the plow without ballast would get you stuck in a half inch of snow with a 2x4. 2nd,once a poly blade is bad, it has to be replaced. spend a few extra dollars and get the steel blade. you can grind it down and get multiple years out of it. Don't buy the mount until you have the 4x4 and do yourself a favor and invest in a great set of tires. you'd be amazed how much time you save in a snow storm with a new pair of sneakers. I get 160"+ of snow a year and sell my tires used every spring and buy new every fall. have a set of all seasons for the summer that have lasted me for 7 years now on 3 trucks. that's my 2 cents.

10. flyguyirvin65

flyguyirvin65 Member

I dont know how many times I dropped the plow and forgot to engage 4WD, I know it in 2 seconds cuz the truck wont push anything. Plowing with 2wd is just asking for frustration and hair loss!!!