1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie (help)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by weasel11, Dec 4, 2008.

1. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

1st year to snow REMOVAL. No snow here in 7 years but this year looks different. I have 8 trucks different sizes so all I need is the equip. My accts are 10 gas station lots, 2 warehouses each w/ 2 loading docks and 2 islands, 5 asphalt drives 2 concrete drives and 1 gravel. What do I need? How many trucks could I get by with using? How much time would it take you the Pro that way I can double or triple that:) Salt or liquid? My thanks in advance!!

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

2 trucks and rock salt and a whole lot of luck.:drinkup:

3. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

thanks for the reply. When's the best time to put down the salt. Scrape then salt or does it matter?

4. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

depends whats in your contract......alot of guys pre salt...then scrape the lot. It leaves a clean finish!

good luck!:waving:

5. TEX

TEX Senior Member

where are u going to dump the snow? does it cost u anything to dump it?

6. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

thanks....

7. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

On site:) and no cost

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

2 trucks ready to go and a back-up just in case.
    I plow then sand/salt but thats what my customers want.

9. TEX

TEX Senior Member

have a melter or river or what?

im just asking bc you said "REMOVAL" thats all

10. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

what does the sand help with. I assume traction, but yrs ago I learned not to assume.
    Also is a sand/salt mixture if so what ratio

Hey thanks for weighing in and giving advice

11. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

WHAT? I'm new to this. I posted in the commercial forum too, because of the amount of viewers they get so you may not have seen all my posts. My company has agreed to do this due to the fact there are NO snow removers still in business here, so they ask me to be prepared. I have 20 trucks single axles and duallies and would like to set up ever how many I would need to get the job done. Salt is in the contract, but will use whatever is best. Just push the snow out of the way no removal necessary. Stacking is not an issue we never get that much snow when it does snow here.
    How's TEXAS? That's where I usually am come Jan. so snow is usually not an issue for me.

12. TEX

TEX Senior Member

Ok well with 20 trucks you may have enough lol............texas well theres no snow and its only about 45-50 day and 30 at nite but wait until next week and it will be 75

13. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

Yeah I was hoping that I would only have to put plows on 2 or 3. It seems like the advice so far confirms this, but I was wondering about the plows that go on the rear. They looked neat in the vids and might work with the small amount of snow we get here, do you have any advice on them.. I'll be in Fort Worth next wk for the NCHA Finals so I'll bet it'll be windy as hell like it always is that wk.