1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

newbie girl

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Jesslynn73, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jesslynn73

Jesslynn73 Junior Member

welp, just made it through two of michigans awesome storms as a first time plow driver... working under my father... he kinda just stuck me in the truck and let me go...alone. i havent crashed yet or smashed the plow up so id say im doing pretty good. I've only got about 45 hours under my belt and cant wait for more. so all you old timers and professionals... any advice for me? I'd like to keep on doing this... so i know i need to improve. :mechanic:

2. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

Well from a rookie (2 years experience) Have fun, learn as much as you can. And keep the properties plowed and clean as much as possible to keep the owner happy. Oh and keep your plow maintenance up because if you don't it always seems to be the worst time when something goes bad.

Good luck! :)

3. Jesslynn73

Jesslynn73 Junior Member

yeah i hear that... Water pump went right before snow was expected to fall one day.... almost had to drive the dodge/ Ugh. ha

4. snowish10

Yikes. Always a ford for me .

5. Jesslynn73

Jesslynn73 Junior Member

i always take to the Chevy's. :) but anything is better than a dodge. ha

6. snowish10

haha old chevy diesels are a good. hahahah duh

7. Jesslynn73

Jesslynn73 Junior Member

lol yeah... i am not fortunate enough to have the diesel, my dad has one but would have to die before i got to even drive it around the block.. it would be nice!

8. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Something I was told a long time ago..."remember, no matter what, it's just snow, it will melt." If you truly love the business, you can make some good money from it, but if you let it overwhelm you...you'll fail. Be patient, be safe, and be smart. Have a plan B, in case everything goes wrong...because some day, everything will go wrong, and keep driving Chevys.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Smart girl already,you'll go far!

10. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Just keep your momentum, and watch out for trees. And boulders hurt too. :cry:

11. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

remember the story of the tortoise and the hare.
    fast may get you there, but it also breaks things so you will loose in the long run.
    slow and steady is the way to go.

12. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Go girl! My wife plows as much as I do.

Our creed-we are not out to win the race, but to finish every time!

13. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't use B+B's special icon in vain.It was designed for our resident guru of everything mechanical--sort of like kissing the Godfather's ring.:laughing: Good luck to you---I like your Dad's teaching method!!!!!

14. Jesslynn73

Jesslynn73 Junior Member

lol thanks everyone!

15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Listen to your dad (that's what I tell my kids), never make assumptions and technique / skill will beat speed in the long run.

16. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

You will do just fine if you take your time to learn things, so , what kind of truck, plow, and plowing do you do, parking lots, roads, driveways ?

17. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

One thing she don't like is Dodge!:nod:

18. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

That's how we know that she's smart. ;)

19. wilsonsground

wilsonsground Senior Member

My thoughts exactly!

20. ram4x443015

ram4x443015 Senior Member

we need some pix