1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie/getting new truck, auto or Man

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PlowKid, Feb 8, 2005.

1. PlowKid

PlowKid Junior Member

Hey there. Im new here and am looking at getting a new work truck for doing construction. I also would like to put a blade on the front to stay busy during winter time (any suggestions?) I am going to get an 05 2500HD w/ the D-Max. I think that I want to get new 6-speed stick trans instead of the $2000 Allison. Anyone have this trans? how about plowing with the stick? Is it a good idea or is the auto a better idea?
    Thanks for the help in advance!

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

i love my allison. i upgraded from a 74 for with a 4speed. much nicer, in my opinion to plow with an auto.
  3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Do a search on this topic, you will find it has been discussed in detail a few times with varying opinions. Even to the point of arguing. It really comes down to how comfortable you are with driving a stick, and I mean driving as in constant shifting (which is exactly what you will be doing with plowing).
  4. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

i have plowed with an auto and a manual. in my opinion i would much rather plow with an auto because after you sit in the truck for 15 hours or more and everything starts to hurt like back neck and anyother part of you that keeps moving all day. you left leg from pushing in a clutch 3000 times in one day feels like it is rubber. go with the auto your body will thank you later on in life when you get old like me. :drinkup: :)
  5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

allison is a great plowing trans. do a search on......NSBU, tow haul, T/H, allison and you should have lotsa reading. Any particular allison questions though feel free to ask.

Manual vrs stick is mostly down to personal preference. I would personaly not be caught dead plowing with a handshaker.
  6. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Auto is much better for plowing,with a manual you have a solid connection from the blade right to the truck and all the shock is transmitted right to the truck.With an auto the shock is absorbed by the torque converter making it much easier on the truck and driver .I have plowed with manuals and hit sewer covers that sent such a shock back in to the truck that broke motor mounts and blew clutch linkage apart.Not to mention the ease of operation with an auto.I will never plow with a manual again.
  7. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

I used to plow with our old Ford tractors (an 8N mostly, a 1947... very early model). Besides the fact that they had no cab, shifting was a royal pain. Those old tractors don't really like being shifted so much, especially when the gear oil is so cold. Plus too and also, you're talking about rear blades, so your neck and torso were sorta temporarily turned to the right a few degrees for several hours after you got done.

I can't imagine going back to a manual tranny, even if it was in a nice warm truck cab. I agree with the comment that shifting is just one thing to wear you out after a tough night or day plowing (or both!). I can't believe how tired and sweaty I get just plowing a few hours at a time. You don't think it's much work just driving around from driveway to driveway and then back & forth again & again on each driveway, but it really is work (for me at least, but then I'm a bit lazy doncha know).

I know that $2300 or whatever the Allison costs now is a big chunk of money, but I think it's worth it. And, I guess the non-Allison automatic works well enough for trucks equipped with the 6.0L, right guys? That's another option if you don't need the Duramax or the big block.

And, you have to consider resale, which hasn't been mentioned yet I don't think. Do you think the next owner would pay a good price for a former plow truck with a manual tranny? Are trucks with manuals really in demand as used trucks? I have absolutely no idea what the answers to those questions are. Maybe the others on this forum can give you some better advice on resale for a manual-equipped truck. I know that resale is always in the back of my mind when I order my vehicles. You can't let later resale considerations dictate too, too much what you buy, but it's good not to totally lose sight of that variable, either.

That's just my 2½¢.
  8. ratlover

from IL

With the allison in TH mode the converter lis locked midway through second gear. This is one thing I love about the allison and one of the reasons the allison ROCKS for plowing.

POWERBAND Member

Auto vs Manual

This subject has been beat to death. But I like to get it going again every time.

To me the choice is simple -

Do you want a corporate averaged, pre-determined (and these days computer estimated) application of the power available?. That is the Automatic Tranny.

Do you want to determine the application of power, traction control and compression braking effect YOURSELF ?. That is the Manual Tranny.

For the great majority, the control of power application, traction control and engine braking is safer left to the pre-determined/ pre-programmed T-converter, and shift point automatic systems.

For me I am a lot more comfortable assuming those decisions myself. I believe I have a lot more control, versatility and accuracy than the automatic systems.

Powerband :cool:
  10. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I have an Alison in my GM. It is the best transmission, I have ever owned. The tow haul mode is AWESOME. It you do any towing you have to get it. It down shifts when you touch the brakes. It learns how you drive. It is a Real Truck Trans not a beefed up car trans.
  11. PlowKid

PlowKid Junior Member

Wow thanks for the replys. I did a search for manual tranny s but couldnt find what I was looking for. Any search tips? I figured that the allison would be easier to plow with but it is also more expensive to fix if it breaks. If the auto dies it would be a few grand to have it rebuilt but I can change the clutch on my back in my driveway for a couple hundred bucks in parts. Resale isnt that big of a deal since this is a truck that I plan on keeping forever.

Thanks again guys!! :salute:

12. ratlover

from IL

for around 3500$ installed you can get a suncoast stage 3 kit installed. replacment and upgraded clutches, tripple disk converter. Bad trans, it will hold 500 rwhp. for under 2500$ you can do the kit yourself(fluid, beer for friends ect.) if you have the place and the time to do it. The internals of the allison are actually pretty easy. Hell, i did it :rolleyes: only problem with the allison is its a heavy SOB. over 300# IIRC dry with no converter :eek: Or for even cheaper you could get a stage 2........

http://www.suncoastconverters.com/ they aslo sell complete trans. There is also DTT and ATS in the allison trans world and a few other co.s that i wouldnt even consider

come on over to the www.dieselplace.com ask the allison and zf6 gurus your questions. its also a great place to learn about your new duramax :nod:

Clutches go in allison, convterers go in allisons, hardparts dont generaly break. This is when being flooged hard. BTW i dont consider plowing flogging an allison. Thats gravey to it. I'm talking 4x4 launches with boost and other stuipd stuff. The DM flywheel on the manuals isnt the most beefy peice also.....
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  13. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I just ordered a second 2500hd yesterday. I know the owner of the dealership fairly well and asked him about the allison. He said they haven't had one allison in for repair. I agree, it's a nice transmission. Well worth the price and good for resale as stated before.
  14. snow warrior

snow warrior Member

15. sno king

sno king Junior Member

stick for plowing painnnnnn

i have a 3500 with a dura maxx desil and a 8' fisher minite mount i drove a buddys 2500 with a stick while he wass in the hospital and i plowed out his parking lot the stick was a pain because of constantly backing thats soley why i bought the automatic u caint goo wrong :waving: :waving:
  16. gearhead

gearhead Member
    from ind.

if I HAD to have a auto it would be the alli, but I don't have to so it's the ZF-6 for me and I love it.
  17. cumminswithplow

cumminswithplow Senior Member

Certified transmissions of nebraska did 3600 transmissions from pickups last year. 2of those were allisons. I'd say thats pretty good odds to me. BTW I am friends with the manager there he says they are bulletproof. Go Allison I wish my dodge had one. The only reason I didnt get a gm product was the front end rating. My father in law works for a gmc dealer and let me tell you he wasnt happy to see me in a dodge.