1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie: front end questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by careiter, Feb 20, 2011.

1. careiter

careiter Junior Member

I have a 2006 ford f-250 with a boss 7.5 plow. My question is about the bump stops. With the plow down i have about 1 inch gap when i raise the plow they hit bottom. Is this normal or okay. With my limited understanding of timbrens woudnt they still hit but compress further.

2. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

DO you have ballast behind the rear axle?

3. careiter

careiter Junior Member

ballast

Yes about 800 to900 pounds aginst tailgate

4. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Do you have a gasser? If so, get some diesel spec springs. Otherwise, timbrens are in your future.

5. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

If I understand this correct, your factory bump stops are hitting with just the weight of the plow ?

If thats right it sounds like you need new springs first. I don't know off hand how much room you should have on an F-250 between the stops and axle but I do know that they shouldn't hit just be lifting the plow.

But if your asking about the TIMBRENS. Then yes there should be about an inch gap between the axle and timbren rubber spring, when there is no load.