1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

newbie from NJ, a question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by USSEnterprise, Sep 13, 2007.

1. USSEnterprise

USSEnterprise Junior Member

I'm looking to maybe make some money this winter. I have an old Chevy Pickup, and found a plow for $250 locally. In NJ, do you need any special insurance to plow people's residential driveways? I know I would need regular auto insurance, but anything extra?
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes, you need special insurance and, no, regular car insurance won't do.

You will need two distinct separate policies: General Liability which protects you from damages related to "completed operations" or the old slip and fall injuries. With that you will need Commercial Vehicle insurance which replaces your regular car insurance. You will also likely need to register your truck with Commercial Vehicle plates and possibly a Commercial Vehicle inspection. All this is mucho dollars. Snowplowing is not a "get rich quick" endeavor.

Good Luck.

Also, make sure you have everything you need to mount that plow on your particular vehicle. Truckside mounts and wiring harness can be several hundred dollars.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I just told my wife about this post and she got a good laugh. She said to tell you "good luck". Every year about this time, you can hear our bank account groan as I write out the insurance checks (and mine aren't nearly as bad as some). Last year was an additional $27,000 for a new truck and plow to replace the one I'd worn out.
  4. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

you can be like half the people out there and not get insurance...but then again u run the risks of paying lots of money to hospitals for ppl who fall (if they do) or replacin things that you mite hit...

funny story i plow commercial with my cuz as a sub then i do my own stuff he thought it would be funny to call me and tell me someone sliped and fell at a site i did and they were got to take us to court if our insurance didnt pay...so i said ok gave him my insurance number....joke was on him because im not like that and i have insurace...

just get it...will make ur life 10x's worry free
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2007