1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie experience

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by stg454, Jan 12, 2011.

1. stg454

stg454 Senior Member

This is my first year plowing. Up until this storm all has been well. Had my first issue this morning while plowing out after the ongoing big storm we are in. Left early this morning, but not early enough. Came out to over a foot of snow. Made one push up my steep driveway and almost got stuck. :mad: Went over to plow our friends driveway. Made one push up the driveway and turned to push into a pile. My truck slid and while trying to get out got real stuck.:realmad: Luckily another plow driver was going by and stopped and lent me a hand to dig out and throw some salt sand under my wheels. Lucily I got out with no problems. A big thank you to those of you with more experience that are willing to stop and help those of us that are new plowing. I will be sure to return the favor whenever I can.

Other than getting out to plow when there is less snow on the ground, are there any suggestions for dealing with heavy snow? I prefer not to get stuck again. Its kind of embarassing after all. I have brand new tires on my Dodge Ram 2500 plow truck too.

2. LoweJ82

LoweJ82 Junior Member

try pushing in 2 passes? half each pass, don't drop the plow all the way down.

What you driving?

3. vinces designs

vinces designs Junior Member

add studs or get weight in the back

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

tire chains as a last resort

5. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

Leave earlier. Push with the storm. We always push with every 3 inches. Good luck.

6. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

don't try and bull your way through if your getting stuck. you may have to work off side to side. try and keep the wheels of the truck out of the unplowed truck

7. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Take your time, it's your first year so learn to feel your truck when your pushing snow, it will tell you when you need to make changes to speed, gearing, and plow blade, don't try to do it all at once and yes leave earlier.

8. leon

leon Senior Member

snow etc.

I would see about purchasing a pair of NOKIA snows for the rears and add ballast between thw wheel wells only.

9. stg454

stg454 Senior Member

Well thank you for all the suggestions. I survived the rest of the day. I will definately have to add some weight in the bed for the next storm.
    It turns out that my learnin experience storm turned out to be the record breaking storm for most snow on record. We ended up with around three feet. I'm getting the hang of getting the feeling of the truck and the art or stacking the snow into piles. I will have to throw some photos up in the next day or so. What is the best ballast to use? Sand bags?

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

tube sand and a bag of salt to use when you get stuck

11. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i live in CT too and this is my first year plowing as well...i got stuck way too many times in the big storm. each time it was because the front end of the truck / plow frame got caught up on att the snow. i was able to dig myself out each time except for once when i had to have my dad come pull me out. half passes work well and while backing up dont drive on unplowed snow. also by the street where the town plows left huge piles i found it was easier to push a bunch of it back with the plow all the way up then drop the plow about halfway and then again with it all the way down. it takes longer but its better than getting stuck and it allows you to push the snow back farther

12. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Put some weight in there. Does not matter what you use as long as it's heavy and as close to the tailgate as you can go. What kind of tires do you have? Are you running in 4wd? What brand plow?

13. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

Easiest/cheapest/quickest thing you can do is add some weight in the bed behind the rear tires. Like Pinky said salt and sand so you can use it if you need to. If you are doing a drive way that goes uphill let gravity work for you, drive up the driveway turn around and push it down hill, or back up the driveway and push down hill. If there is an apron from the city plows clear those out of the way first, they are usually packed pretty hard. Also, I will always do a little shoveling by hand before I plow if I think it is going to prevent me from having to dig my self out.

14. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Everyone gets stuck from time to time, definately lots of weight...I handle that with bags of salt, so naturally at the end of the day, I weigh less but I'm done plowing then. I was always worried about sleeping too late, but I adjusted, now I go to bed then I'm naturally up every hour, plus I call my sub to let him know I'm headed out, and he calls me...that way if for some reason I didnt wake up,or he didnt, we're covered, I know I've woken him up sometimes, and vice versa. I always carry chain as I've buried myself before, and I've unburied others. If you have to push side to side every pass, that's what you gotta do. I hate beating my truck any more then I have to. All that said...a 3 foot storm in an area that typically gets at most 16" storms, it's not gonna be an easy day

15. stg454

stg454 Senior Member

I will definately try the weight from now on. Just didn't think I would need it at first. I;m running BFG All Terrains 295-75-16 on my 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel Quad Cab Long Bed with an 8 foot Fisher HD MM1. I was of course running in 4wd. I did switch to 4wd low when I got stuck but it didn't make any difference.

Tanks for all the help guys.

16. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Weight is definitely your problem. Heavy diesel engine plus plow on the front end means the rear is hanging up in the air. Ballast it ASAP. Tires are good, maybe a bit wide, but still an excellent tread type. 4LO will not get you anywhere except stuck faster. All 4LO does is provide a really low gear set that makes power almost instantly. It is good for pushing back heavy piles, but it puts down so much torque that you have to be careful to not spin your tires.

17. Trilogy

Trilogy Junior Member

Luckily I put 10 bags of tube sand in my bed before the storm. This is my first year plowing. I mostly plow my church. I use an 84 F150 straight 6 4spd 4 x 4 truck with Lexington ES-335 tires on it. For a plow, I have an 8' Fisher Speedcast. I live in Western MA, but my work is in Enfield, CT. I was stuck a couple times, but always worked or dug my way out. Always keep a good shovel and sand or such for traction.

18. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

go buy yourself a case ih STX 535 you will never get stuck again

19. mean green 24

mean green 24 Junior Member

At four inches you can only effeciantly use 75% of your blade to push. Keep this in mind. That's why we all plow at 3inches. Yes its more trips yes its more fuel yes it can be more time if your not stuck, but yes its more managable, more proffessional, and a lot more profitable considering no repairs. If you have to plow more ande can't keep up just try to push smaller amounts by raising plow. If you add the time getting stuck our way will shorten your day. Good luck.