1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie e 47?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fga, Jan 24, 2004.

1. fga

fga Member

I'm new to polwing and don't know the mechanics of the system. I bought a dump truck and the plow was on it. The model is a myer electro e 47. My problem is, when its raised, it slowly would go down. This problem has now gotten so bad in the last couple of weeks, that it hardly goes up, and then comes right down. Is this really bad problem or maybe a quick fix if I bring it in to a plow shop. Or maybe its not a big deal and someone can tell how to do this myself. Thanks for your time.
    If you have an idea, maybe you can speak in newbie terms:D

Last edited: Jan 24, 2004
  2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

First check the hydraulic fluid.

3. fga

fga Member

You're gonna laugh, but I was told to look for a resavoir, and I can't find one. Is it self contained within the pump itself? once again, don't know any mechanics of it.

4. fga

fga Member

Or maybe someone can tell me Where is the fill cap on this model?

5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

on the top of the pump where the piston raises there are 4 nuts.
    3 of them are the same, the 1 that looks different if the fill for fluid. ( on mine its either a 5/8 or 9/16) You should use the meyers blue fluid , but in a pinch transmission fluid will work.

6. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Hi, I'm new also and also have an E47 Meyer plow.

The resevoir is built into the lift cylinder. The filler hole is right on top. It is a 7/16 fitting. It is a vented fitting. If you overfill the system, it will overflow out of here. Fill it with the cylinder all the way down.

7. fga

fga Member

Thanks alot guys, I'm going to try that now!!!!

8. fga

fga Member

I found the fill , filled it, but it still goes down, it takes about 10 seconds for the plow to come completely down from the very top. Any ideas????? The only plow shop around here says he might not be able to get to it today.

9. JMR

JMR Senior Member

The seal on the piston is bad. Most likely you will need a E-47 piston seal kit. Remove the lift arm and the the bolts holding the top cover plate on. You will be able to remove the piston after that. A lot of the original piston seals were leather. I believe the replacement is a rubber type seal at the bottom of the piston. There are also some o-rings in the kit(for the cylinder) and a new seal for the top cover. I would bet that will fix it. Good luck and let us know.

10. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

On the back of your e47 there is a coil/valve assembly that has a black wire attached to it. If you take off the nut, the coil will come off, and you'll see the valve. Its called an "A" valve. This is what holds fluid in the lift cylinder when closed and when open lewts fluid flow back to the resivoir and lets the plow go down. When the o rings on this valve wear out or the valve is faulty, the plow will drift down when raised. Replace this valve and you'll be good to go. Good Luck!!

11. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

12. fga

fga Member

I went out and bought the a valve, only 23 bucks, so if it works it should be worth it. you guys have been a great help!!!! Its so cold out there right now, I think I'll wait to put it on..... I think I have to buy a socket for that valve though. I have a 100 sockets, that big, but not that deep:angry:

13. fga

fga Member

What's up guys, it took me 5 minutes to change that valve once I got all the pieces I needed ($15 socket), the plow is now in the air held up for an hour now so I assuming I'm alright. Thanks guys for the help!!!!!!!!! I have another question about my set up, but I'll start a new thread since alittle different.

14. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

What size socket do you need for the a valve, and what size for the other valves? Is it 1 1/4"?

15. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Looks like I stand to be corrected on this one. Good call JMASSI. Mine did the same thing last year and it was the piston seal. Minor overhaul and I was back in business. Well it's snow now, time to get the trucks ready to roll.payup payup

16. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

PlowSite saves another person money and aggravation.

17. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

Glad I was able to help a fellow snowplower. Just an FYI...the A valve uses an 1 1/8" socket and the B & C valves use the 1 1/4" socket, for those out there that aren't sure. Trust me, the sockets are well worth the money. Its a PITA to try and remove those valves with a cresent wrench or a pair or channel locks!:D