1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie could use some help...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by JandA, Dec 18, 2008.

1. JandA

JandA Junior Member

New to the commerical plowing industry. I plowed municipal streets for several years as a municipal employee. Now getting out on my own, I am trying to figure out how to price a salt / calcium application. I have tried by the acre / lbs, and by the square foot. I can't seem to get any of them to make sense.

I recently picked up a parking lot that is 27,000 square feet of servicable area. Out of the blue, I threw out a number of $350, and he took it. Now, trying all of the formulas, the most I should have charged him is $170?? Doesn't make sense....

If anyone would be so kind to send me their formula for salt applications, that would be great. I could also use some bid sheet, contracts, lien waivers, etc....kind of the whole ball of wax.

Any help?

2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Sure. How 'bout we plow it for you, collect the $$$ and just send you a check.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Try using the "search" featue or the Bidding and estimating forum.
  4. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Square foot pricing is worthless, like the days of planting costs being 3 times the plant material. Whether it's for hardscaping, mowing, siding, roofing, plowing, etc. Pricing should be based on your business model and costs. At the very least figure your materials and labor, then add markup. Charge what you can but understand that you can always lower your markup but you can't lower your cost.