1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie contract / average snowfall questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by FeelLikeANumber, Oct 24, 2006.

1. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

Long story short, its my second year plowing and a couple of new customers want contracts. Last year was supposedly a light year for lower Michigan. I only plowed 7 times and salted only a couple times. So does anybody know a good website to figure out an average snowfall for my area (Kalamazoo, Portage, Schoolcraft)? I dont want to guess too high and have people nervous about signing up, but i dont want to guess too low and be plowing for free the second half of the winter either. I ran last year on a 2 inch trigger. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

2. EnviroTeam

EnviroTeam Member

I don't know about a web site (I am sure though that there is one or 1000 out there) However, you can check with the local bureau or even a local T.V. station with an on staff weather guesser. I am in Ontario Canada and use 23-25 based on a 2" trigger, as my average occurrence number for my quotes. I checked with another local guy who has been plowing for years in my area and that is the number he gave me (it has worked out about right for the last 4 yrs for me.
    That would probably be your best bet...find a local plow guy and ask what your local occurrence number is.

When in doubt pick the high side, and for god sakes don't forget to specify when the contract ends....lol

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

4. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

cool thanks for the help. I'll check with some of the people around town and try to get a sense of a typical winter. I know we definately arent in the 20's range of pushes per year. I'd definately get sick of winter. I'll check the website also. Thanks again.

5. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 Senior Member

I'm about 5 miles south of MI line near 131 in IN and we push an avg. of 15-16 NORMALLY (2") but last year more like 5.

6. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

I know 5 times my suck for you but I am only 50miles from MI in fort wayne and only got to plow 2 TIMES last year starting at 2 inches . talk about a bad first year plowing .

7. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 Senior Member

Man you barely payed for the flags on your plow if you bought new and had it installed. Well we all hope for a better year.

8. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Im surprised after last year and with the predicted low snowfalls for this season anyone would want a contract price.

I know it's easier to deal with billing wise, documentation wise etc, but....yeah, and I know you guys either dont believe it or dont want to hear it(I dont want to hear it) but unless you live in a lake effect zone.....my sources are saying another crappy year, for Michigan and the tri state area.