1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie checking in.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ChrisinVT, Dec 19, 2008.

1. ChrisinVT

ChrisinVT Junior Member
    from Vermont

Hey guys!

I recently purchased a plow setup for my 1987 GMC S15 pickup. I mainly use the truck for off-roading when there's not snow on the ground (although snow wheelin' is fun too). My snowblower died, and when it ran the thing was a pile of junk - I saw a really good deal for a 7' plow setup on craigslist and purchased it (Although I really think it's a 6' plow, I didn't measure it yet). The plow came off a small Toyota pickup, and the guy modified the brackets to fit a 2001 Chevy Blazer; but then the 4WD went in his blazer so he bought a new truck. Lucky for me the mounts will go right on my truck since the frames are very similar. I'm only going to use the plow to do my driveway and my grandmother's driveway. I don't drive my truck on the roads in the winter (unless I absolutely HAVE to), so I'm not planning on doing much more with it. I might do a friends driveway or something, but I'm not going overboard.

I already have amber LEDS and an amber rotating beacon on my truck, so I'm set in the light department. I'm going to have to remove my off-road bumper to mount the plow frame, so I might modify the plow frame to be a spiffy bumper also :)

I think I'm going to reinforce the frame where the brackets are supposed to go. See, when the guy modified the brackets - he made them so they'd have to be welded onto the frame. That's unacceptable to me because the brackets hang real low on the truck, and my bumper is in the way. I'm thinking that I might weld 1/2" plating to the frame, reinforce it - and make it so the mounts bolt to the plating. I haven't looked into it too much, especially since the plow and frame are still sitting in the bed. I'll take pics as I go along mounting this thing to the front of my truck.

My truck:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

Post some pics when you get that plow on! :salute:

3. ChrisinVT

ChrisinVT Junior Member
    from Vermont

I'll definitely do that. I'm going to be taking pictures as I reinforce the frame and fabricate brackets for the plow

4. ChrisinVT

ChrisinVT Junior Member
    from Vermont

Well, it looks like I won't be doing any plowing with my truck. After installing my winch I'm unable to mount the plow without serious modifications to the plow frame, plow, frame of the truck, and winch brackets...

So if anyone is looking for a plow to hook up to a small truck, I've got one that's gathering dust, errrr ummm - snow; in my back yard :D

5. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

what part of VT are you located
    im in waterbury
    welcome to the site

6. ChrisinVT

ChrisinVT Junior Member
    from Vermont

St. Johnsbury, I have a friend that lives in Waterbury!