1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie buying plow for Duramax

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Stizo, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Stizo

Stizo Junior Member
    from NJ

HI, wondering if you guys could give me a hand. Going to buy a plow soon for my 2003 2500HD ext cab w/ Duramax. We've been plowing a couple private roads with the backhoe for the last couple years but it has since moved to a new jobsite and really isn't cost affective to transport it.

Been reading this site for last couple days and narrowed the search down to 8' straight steel plow by Western, Fisher, or Boss. They all have local dealers. Got a couple prices the other day. Western Pro PLow $3150 + tax, Boss $3800 + tax (seemed kinda steep) and still haven't called the Fisher dealer. All these prices are carry out and complete. Just curious about what a fair price is.

I have to install these myself because none of the dealers will do it due to liability reasons because of the weight of the Duramax. The Western dealer I talked to wanted to sell me a "Playschool My First PLow" because of the weight reasons. he also said a lot of guys buy them anyway and carryout. Also noticed a number of members here pow with D/A ext cabs and I haven't seen any posts with "My 2500HD snapped in half!"

I'm open to any suggestions on what and what not to buy and why. Thanks for any assitance.
  2. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

I have an 8' Western Poly Pro Ultramount on my '02 Dmax. I like it. I'd assume the poly is lighter than the steel plow, and frankly, I think there are other advantages as well. Doesn't get paint chips and rusty and stuff. Seems to be holding up well. Western says 400lbs of ballast in back when plowing, rides pretty well.
  3. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

Actually Nostockbikes your poly plow weighs right around the same as a steel blade would if not more. poly blades tend to be heavier than steel blades due to them needing much heavier support... atleast asfar as the decient plows go such as the westerns, boss, fisher.

Stizo the price you got quoted for the boss is about $300 more than they were running a few months ago up here but now that now is about here the prices have gone up some. personally i love my boss 8' Superduty thats another thing to watch when you get prices that you are comparing blades of the same quality because most of boss western and fisher all have light duty and heavy duty plows. asfar as carring the weight if it seems to sag a decient amount with the blade on just switch out the front springs to a heavier duty set and that will help alot. you could also add some timbrens to help carry the weight.
  4. myo

myo Senior Member

I have a regular cab duramax with the xblade. Just get a set of timbrens and you'll be all set.
  5. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

ouch i cant beleive they want to charge you that much thats the same price as having it installed thats nuts actually its cheaper to buy a fischer and have it installed hopefully they will do for when you call.they install on anything around here.the only dealer near me that wont install plows due to warrenties is meyers.pretty weird how how theese guys opperate
  6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i plow roads and 40 of the guys use com meyers snowplow like a cp 8.0,8.5,9.0 or a fisher a 8ft or a 9.0 i would also add 500 to 1000 pounds of ballast on the rear wheels
  7. truck1500

truck1500 Member

i would go with the boss i know people that have them and they like them a lot good hook up and they like the way that they handle to.
  8. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I have a BLIZZARD 810 on my 3500 ext cab dually duramax and it handles it no problem.
  9. Stizo

Stizo Junior Member
    from NJ

Ok guys, going to pick one up this week. Finally narrowed my search down to a Boss Superduty or a Western Pro Plow, both steel straight blades. Boss is about another $300 but they have a lot of dealers near me. One is less than five minutes down the road and there are another 4 or so within a 25 min drive. Also there is one near my parents house in PA if I need it up there. Western has one dealer near me :(

Dealer support seems a big plus to me. What do you guys think?
  10. Rob Hausrath

Rob Hausrath Member

Any plow is only as good as the dealer standing behind it.

As a dealer, I can say that you'd be better off with a lesser quality plow with a dealer that offers quality support than a premier plow with no support...

You are looking at quality products..... I'd suggest the dealer you have the most confidence in.

Good luck with whatever you decide!:waving:
  11. chevy guy37

chevy guy37 Member

Good choice. Western or a boss should do you just fine!:D I have 3 westerns and they are all holding up good!
  12. rnblase

rnblase Senior Member

A Blizzard 810 would work Great on that Truck

$4300.00 Cash & Carry

13. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

your duramax can handle a 8ft snowplow. try a snoway snowplow. the weight of a 8ft snoway is 484-504 pounds. thats a lot lighter then a lot of the other plows out there:)
  14. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

My blizzard will eat your snoway.:p
  15. hurley

hurley Junior Member

I have the same configuration as you and just had a 8ft super-duty poly straight blade installed on my truck last weekend. I ran into the same thing as you. The western dealer would not install a 8ft HD model. They could only install a light duty plow due to the weight. He also told me to keep looking around because the LD plow would not last for what I'm doing and there are dealer that will install what you want. I found a Boss dealer close by stopped by. Told him I needed a plow and told him I had a 03 Chevy Extended cab with 8 ft bed. He ran the configuration but never ask me what engine I had. I paid for it on the spot and arranged to have it installed. I still thought they might catch on but had it installed and never questioned the configuration again.

03 Chevy 2500 HD
    6.6L Diesel
    Michigander :waving: