1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie - Boss SmartTouch2 - how to engage float?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 66 BADBOY, Feb 27, 2008.

1. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

I do not have a Boss plow yet. I am 99% sure I am going with a Boss sometime this fall. Currently I have an old Meyer plow with a joystick. When you stop pushing up on the joy stick, the plow stays where it is at. If you push down on the joystick, the plow drops. If you want the plow to stop dropping, you push the joy stick back to the center (between up and down). If you want to float, you push the joy stick down and leave it there.

With the SmartTouch 2, in the specs it says it has automatic float. What does that mean? If you tap down, does the plow drop all the way down regardless of how long you push the button for? And to get it to skim, (like plowing over gravel) do you have to short tap the button up? Or can you control the plow drop and stop it where you want to?

Thanks

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

no if you double push it it will drop/raise automatically, if you just push it once it will onlt drop/raise till you let off.

3. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

So the auto float would be considered when you double tap it down? Then it stays on the ground regardless of elevation changes?

4. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

You have to hold the "down" button down for like 2 seconds then the light turns red. Just hit the down once to back drag.

5. Quality SR

The float means the blade will follow the contour of the found, if it is hilly, etc. If you hit the button to go down, yes it will go all the way down. Mine doenst slam down, i like it like that. I was told you can adjust the pump to make it go faster or slower. I have mine that when you hit the button once the plow will drop half way, then again it will go down to the ground. Like i said you can adjust it, to go slower or faster. I am going to adjust mine next time i attach it. To plow over gravel use the plow shoes, or drop the plow and bump it up a little until your off the ground.

6. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Double click the down and the blade will go all the way down into float mode. Also holding the down button will go into float. When the back lighting changed from green to red you know your in float. Very easy to use, one of them things you will get used to quick.

7. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

You do this when it's already in float? I haven't heard of this one.

8. Quality SR

No, Float means that the blade will move freely with the contour of the ground. If you drop the blade down, not so that it is in float mode you will have enough down pressure to back drag. My control i just hit the down button once and it drops down and you feel the truck sit up a little higher. Almost feels like the plow is holding the front end off the ground. Back dragging is used when pulling the snow away from a garage door. Drop the blade down and back up, pulling the snow back with you.

9. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

Oh, I know what float is, I have to use it in what my boss wants to call our parking lot. ha ha. Most of my lot is done with back dragging. The way I read your post I thought you meant that you put it in float and then hit it once. I was confused. My bad.

10. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

I don't use the shoes. I just hit it up a tad to clear the gravel, enough to leave a bit of snow to build an icey base.

11. Quality SR

Ya either or will work.