1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie: Blazer w/ lift

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by mitts_39, Oct 30, 2008.

1. mitts_39

mitts_39 Junior Member

Hello all. I've flipped through some of the links for newbies, which look helpful and I'll continue to sift through. I'm in the foothills area of CO and have a few questions:

1 - I'm looking at a mid-80's Blazer w/ a 6" lift, which I think is a good deal for both winter & summer time for my uses. Is this a decent vehicle if I'm doing my driveway & a neighbor's? Definitely no commercial use, just need something to help on the days that the snow gets above 6". Driveways are about 50 & 75 yards each.

2 - can you recommend a place/ source for used plows & winch equipment? Am I better off buying new? Any recommendations on brand & model of plow & winch are appreciated.

Again, thanks in advance. I'll continue to look through the threads, but wanted to get some initial feedback.

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Lifts realy do not work good for plowing. Mid 80's Blazers work great for plowing but not with a lift.

3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

friend of mines been beating the crap out of a blazer for years plowing. His is lifted too. Truck will move some snow, and i dont think i have ever seen it stuck in anything it couldnt get out of. It's a beast. I dont see a issue other than you will have to prefab something so you can mount the blade because of the lift.

edit:i gave him a call. he runs 33" tires for plowing and you will definatley have to prefab something to drop the plow frame lower. he kept breaking his plow frame until he had the height figured out to where he wanted it. Said if you get it stuck with that setup its really stuck. You will spend all day digging it out. lol

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I had a 79 K-5 Blazer with 8 foot plow. Put some weight in the back and it was a tank.
    No problems whatsoever.
    T.J.

5. mitts_39

mitts_39 Junior Member

thanks much. noticed that i may have wasted some space here & there may be a better forum (New to the Industry) for newbies like me, so I posted w/ a link to this thread. Thanks again for the help & advice.