1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie: Been reading site for about 3 months and figured it's time for introduction.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by walleyeinc, Nov 5, 2013.

1. walleyeinc

walleyeinc Junior Member

Hi All,
    I just wanted to introduce myself as a plowing novice with a lot to learn! I started a landscape/hydroseeding company two years ago, the growth this year pushed me to purchase a new Bobcat S185, two 3/4 ton trucks, added a couple full time employees, a couple part timers, etc. With all the additions I decided to start snow removal through the winter months to hopefully maintain good cash flow/make payments.

We purchased some snow removal equipment: 9' Snowdawg Pusher for skid steer, 8' Western Straight Blade for 2002 2500HD Duramax, 28" 2 stage snowblower, shovels galore, 16' dump trailer, etc.

We are a licensed contractor, insured 1m/2m with a snow rider. Setup as an LLC. We have so far contracted 20 commercial accounts including; vet clinic, three hotels, four apartment complexes, two town home complexes, and ten retailers. All contracts other then one are setup on hourly rates (as I was scared on bidding them per push or seasonally this first year.)

I'm new to commercial snow removal and or snow removal for hire. Been plowing recreationally for many years. Still have tons to learn and appreciate anything constructive you may offer. Thanks for your contributions to the forum, as I've read countless hours already.

We have put a standard beacon/strobe on our Skid Steer. We have yet to add hazard lighting to the pickup and I'm interested what you may suggest. Do I need additional lighting as well as hazard warning? Make model suggestions. We aren't cheap, however I'm a very conservative operator and like good values.

Thanks Plowsite!!!
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

As far as your stobe question. The sky is the limit. As far as starting out, a simple cig plug in is just fine. If you have a back rack then the mounting is better then just the roof. As far as specifics, I have gone with about them all. I usually go with a mag mount from mills supply. I think there like 75.00 or so. Just my .01
  3. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome Walleye. Shoot George at Wicked Warnings an email. He can certainly steer ya in the right path as far as lighting. He ships, and can walk ya thru anything.

4. Mega cab

Mega cab Member

you mentioned payments! Just have a clear understanding how quick turn around is on your money. Cash flow is the whole other side to this business. you don't want to wait 60-90 plus days for your$$. Also even if you do not bill weekly you may want to give them a list of work hours per truck. So when they get your bills there no room for questions when you bill out hourly. Good luck
  5. walleyeinc

walleyeinc Junior Member

Thanks all, SEND SNOW soon please. I'm ready to get our feet wet.
  6. magnum1

magnum1 Senior Member
    from ID & ND

Howdy, Howdy, Hi from the oil fields
  7. walleyeinc

walleyeinc Junior Member

Howdy Magnum!! When you say "Oil Fields," are you in the Williston area? Who do you work for? I have done landscaping work, including soil erosion work all over that region. I'm out of Bismarck and about to start our first season of snow removal if it ever snows....
  8. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Congratulations on solid growth.
    I'd keep careful records of how long it takes to clear each property and try to fix price at least 50% of them for next season. Makes budgeting equipment and material expenses a little easier during a dry winter.
    And your post seems to state you have a blade on one truck, but not on the second. I'd definitely get a blade for the second truck, even if you don't think you need it. Built in back up.
    Good luck.
  9. walleyeinc

walleyeinc Junior Member

Appreciate the response, yes definitely will be looking to fix price the majority of this years customers for the next season. I also hope to add a second truck plow when the finances support it. So most likely for this season the second truck will be utilized only to pull around trailer with skid steer and snow blower on board. We have yet to receive enough snow to activate anything, becoming very frustrating already.