1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

newbie at large

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by pascack, Dec 8, 2011.

1. pascack

pascack Junior Member

Hey guys,
    I am starting a home maintenance company this year and am researching if I want to offer resi snow removal for 2012-13. PLeanty of reading to do!
    If I put out any questions that look newbie-esque ....well there is a good reason for that!
    thanks for all your advice....I want to be the best in my area with the best rep and give the best service so thanks again for helping me in my quest!
  2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

If you're completely green when it comes to Snow Removal the best thing you can do is try to hire on with someone this season. You'll probably start off on a shovel which is fine because starting at them bottom is typically the best way to learn a trade.
    As far as next season goes;

Don't buy junk, but then again you don't need brand new either. Stuff that's a couple of years old and in good shape still has a lot of life left in it and will make you money without the huge investment of new.

What ever you buy make sure you have great local support, try to find a brand / dealer that is open or on call during storms. If you need a hose, cylinder, solenoid,etc... at 2 am it'll make your life much easier and keep you customers happy.

Take it easy and don't get yourself in over your head with a big route. You soon find if you're not upholding your commitments you'll soon be losing customers.

Have a back up plan, whether it's another guy/company you can call on as a sub for you in case of a break down. Since you're planning on doing rezi's maybe a blower or if you have a ATV with a plow on it. The size of your rezi's plays into what type of back up plan you go with.

Networking is huge, this will save your bacon if needed.

And obviously make sure you have liability insurance for plowing.