1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie as a Sub

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by StarLandCentral, Nov 10, 2010.

1. StarLandCentral

StarLandCentral Junior Member

I am offered a deal to work as a subcontractor for a company. His contract states "....will provide <Blank> Landscaping a copy of its Insurance policy naming <Blank> Landscaping as additional insured." In other words, it sounds like the contractor wants me to add his company to my insurance. This seems odd, but I'm new. Is this standard practice?
  2. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Sometimes companys even want to be added to your insurance company. They call it additional insuaned. Mine iinsurnace comapny does it for free. But thats normal from what i know
  3. nekos

nekos Senior Member

It's very common and nothing to worry about.

I'm not sure the exact reasons why most companies need to be added onto your insurance, hopefully some one else can chime in and explain it. Again, it's nothing to worry about and is standard practice.
  4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Your not actually paying to insure his company. All that you are doing, is adding his company as an additionally insured party to your insurance. So if there is a slip and fall, or if you drive your truck into a car, or building on one of his lots, your insurance company will pay for damages you caused. as well as defend him if it turns into a court action. If his drivers cause the damage, then your still free and clear. Lawyers these days, will sue you, him, the property owner, and anyone else they can name if there are any problems, so by adding him as additionaly insured, it will help everyone if you cause the damage.