1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie... ANY ADVICE please

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by AFM Contracting, Oct 4, 2006.

1. AFM Contracting

AFM Contracting Member

Hey guys, I just started this April doing lawn maintinence and I want to start plowing for some winter income. I have plowed for 2 years and I am comfortable with physically plowing, but Im lost as to how to get started with the business side.

I am asuming my commercial truck insurance will cover plowing, and my contractors insurance will cover my liability (1,000,000). but will I have to call them and tell them I got a plow on the truck?

What other legalities ect. do I need. Any advice / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Don't assumer anything with insurance. Alot of it varies from state to state. Talk to Mick on this site, he has heavily researched insurance for plowing.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Assuming will always lead to problems. Your current insurance (vehicle and liability) may not cover plowing snow. Make sure this is a "listed activity". As far as what is required, this may vary greatly by region (let alone country).

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Use the search feature on the menu. most everything has been discussed at least once.
    Like a bunch of old hens we are.lol:D

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Cluck, cluck, cluck.

6. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

man ins company will offer landscaping and such but no snow plowing erie has it and i got a reasonable rate from them and also if youre going to have employees make sure their names are on the policy