1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie and have questions on setting up my truck!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mballos1, Dec 2, 2009.

1. mballos1

mballos1 Junior Member

Hi my name is Mike Ballos, I just retired myself from the car business after 25 years. I live in Taxachusetts and have always plowed the car lots at work and my 650' driveway. I signed up to plow for a local municipality and need to set up my truck for plowing. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 reg cab diesel w' a Fisher Minute mount 2. I just had some new tires put on and had the truck and plow serviced. I have all of the needed insurance and am ready to go. I need help with picking out the right lighting for the truck. I have read a lot of the post on Plowsite.com which is great by the way and I think I am ready to purchase the Responder® LP™, Linear 6, Magnetic Mount for $299.00 but am not if this is the one to buy and also what color I should get. Does the color of the flash have any effect on visibility during a snow storm while plowing? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Check with the city laws reguarding lights.
    Welcome to the site Mike.
  3. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

Welcome Mike.
    You're object with the lights is to be seen while plowing. I think you'll find most will tell you amber or white lights is what's legal, but I agree with hydro, check your local laws. I use amber. I think it shows better in the dark and stands out better in a blizzard. just my .02
  4. mballos1

mballos1 Junior Member

Thank you I did call the town police to check with them and they haven't got back to me. Is there some other town office Im should try? In regards to the light color rteflection and the best choice of a light bar in the $300 range do you have any suggestions?
  5. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Member

I've done a lot of research online here and in the MGL (Massachusetts General Laws) and the very best I have found out is that I can only use amber lights on my truck for snow plowing use. No white, no strobes inside my headlights, no strobes inside my red tailights/backup lights - no red of any kind other than what my truck came with from the factory, just amber in any direction.

If someone knows any different, please let us know.

6. mballos1

mballos1 Junior Member

Thank you for all your efforts Steve, not to be greedy but what is your take on the LED mini bars verse the strobe? Is the Responder® LP™, Linear 6, Magnetic Mount quality unit?
  7. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

If you are getting a light bar your best investment is to stay with whelen or a sho-me. We have sho-me light bars on our trucks and work perfect in the day and the night !
  8. mballos1

mballos1 Junior Member

Great thanks again for your help!
  9. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Member

I myself went the old-school route and put on a new Whelen Guardian GP2 unit below which is the halogen rotators which I really, really like. They really cut the night and are very visible in daylight as well and I only paid $74.95 for it and I got it here.

LED's do have many advantages over the old halogen rotators such as extremely low ampere usage and they really do get your attention.

Either way you go, as long as you have something that will get peoples attention.