1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

newbie advice for F-150 - can I add plow?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by pgreen29, Jul 17, 2010.

1. pgreen29

pgreen29 Junior Member
    from 14094

Will plowing with my 2004 F-150 prove to be disastrous to my truck?

Most guys have at least a 3/4 ton or 1 ton for plowing.

If you had to choose a plow for a F-150 what would you choose?
  2. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Yes you can plow with it. There are a ton of threads on here about this. If you do a search you will find hours of good reading.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snowdogg has the lightest plow on the market for your F-150 in the MD 7'6" at 400 lbs plus mount.

Snoway is close at 460 (approx) but offers direct lift and Down Pressure.
  4. pgreen29

pgreen29 Junior Member
    from 14094

Thank you for the replies.
  5. Subicbay

Subicbay Junior Member

I have a 2006 poly 7'6" Boss set up. I had it on a 04 F150. Where r u from? I may be selling.
  6. Yes, you can. The reason most opt for 3/4 or 1 tons is so they can pu aa spreader in the back. They also have more weight, which allows more traction.
  7. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

I did for years. 04 F-150 with a boss 7.6 Poly Sport.

Truck did great. You just got to take it easy and not beat the crap out of the truck.

My plows sitting in my warehouse now, I bought a super duty.

I might be interested in selling if your looking.
  8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The reason people go with a F-250 or 350 is they are built more heavy duty. You have a much higher weight rating. Takes a bigger more heavy duty plow setup. Bigger brakes / tires / springs / shocks, more lugs holding on wheels, beefier truck transmissions and axles, more charging to bigger batteries. Most have manual 4x4 shift levers not a switch. Manual hubs that do not rely on vacuum to engage. I have never broke any of those parts on my F-250, they may wear out, but they never break. You can plow with a 1/2 ton, just remember it's still just a half ton. It's really not built for the work. I bet 1/2 the plow trucks in this country are 1/2 tons.