1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie: 84 Blazer w/ lift

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mitts_39, Oct 31, 2008.

1. mitts_39

mitts_39 Junior Member

First post was yesterday & ended up purchasing an 80's rebuilt blazer for winter plowing (only a 4-5 driveways) & some summer fun. Below is the link to the posting site. I live in the Foot Hills area of CO & was looking for some advice on what plow/ location/ etc.

I've read through some of the information, which has been helpful - looks like Fisher and Snoway are popular. I attached some pics of my truck, which has a 6" lift.

Figured I would re-post here to see if it gets a little more traffic - thanks to those who have already shared and thanks in advance for any other thoughts. If someone has posted w/ a similar situation, pls point me to other threads.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=67731

PIC-0162.jpg

PIC-0163.jpg

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

6" of lift and plowing snow doesnt sound like a good idea to me. Too much angle for the plow. JMO

3. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

that will work fine, just the lower bracket will have to be lowered a bit to make the plow level. those are great for small drives, and places where tighter turning is helpful. good to see another on the site.:waving:

4. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

and for a plow recmendation, i would go with Western, i've had great luck with them. and there are many setups used out there for that body style. any thing from 73 - 87 chevy pickups, blazers, and suburbans will work. then you would only have to modify the bottom bracket unless you get luckie enough it came off on lifted simmilar to yours, but not likely though.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Yeah it will work but the lower bracket will have to be lowered more then a "bit"
    Lowering the bracket puts ALOT more stress on it.
    Best driveway plow is a Sno-Way with the down pressure.
    Buy a plow that has good dealer support in your area.

6. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

I used to plow with a 88 K-5 Blazer that had a 4" lift and 33/12.5/15 tires on it. Ran it with a 7 1/2 Fisher conventional mount plow. Just dropped the hitch pins to the highest hole on the plow and lengthened the lift chain. Truck plowed awsome untill the day I traded her. I hear that one of the salesmen bought it to do his driveway and hasn't had a single problem with it.

7. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

If you are just doing a few driveway's then there is no need to spend alot of money on a new plow, you should be able to find an old Fisher conventional plow off a 73-87 GM truck for not much money. I have seen alot of the old 73-87 GM's with 4" lifts and with old Fisher plows that plowed good with the lift, but with a 6" lift you will need to do some modifacations and there are guy's on here that could guide you threw this (such as B&B).

I have an 85 Chev K10 that has a 2.5" superlift kit and have a Fisher plow on it, after I lifted the truck and seen how the springs handled the plow I wished I had went with the 4" kit, the superlift springs held the plow better than the stock 3 leaf springs.

Take a look around the site and see some of the lifted trucks with plows, there are a few of them like your old chevy, we have discussed this topic a few times in the past and things got interesting :D.

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

yea, just get an old fisher, western or meyer for $500 no scene ruining a good plow like a boss or sno-way

I see you have a nice trail rig it will be fun 4wheeling with your friends.
    to bad your plow frame will be limiting your fun.

I drove a 73 K5 but it did not have a lift, It worked ok.

I agree,

ps...(and all trucks have problems, some problems can be avoided

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  9. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

I've run 2 similar trucks, an '80 Jimmy & an '87 Blazer, the Jimmy had 4" lift with 33's and the Blazer had 6" with 35's. No problems at all. I used an old convetional style Fisher and instead of altering the plow frame, I modified the the attachment points on the a-frame. Legthened the "pin plates" by adding more to the tops, fishplating & gussetting. Plenty of strength, never had an issue and maintianed ground clearance on the truck. Used both trucks for tight areas at my commercials, as well as municipal town road plowing.

10. mitts_39

mitts_39 Junior Member

thanks, much - very helpful & looking forward to the snowfall. i'm sure i'll have some more quest & will search the boards. will post another pic when i get the plow up & running...

11. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Got any pics of those setups?

12. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

NO digital pics, as these were back in the early to mid 90's but when I have time I'll see if I can hunt down some old prints & scan em in.