1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Newbi with a new truck and a HT Fisher plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jsecape, Nov 24, 2011.

1. jsecape

jsecape Junior Member
    from Maine

Hello all I am new to plowing.I now have a 09
    1500 with a Fisher HT..I plowed a friends driveway to day. It felt like the plow was going to fold under the truck.....HELP

2. jsecape

jsecape Junior Member
    from Maine

Why would this happen,any one..All most like the plow dug in and the truck would have flipped..
    Any one

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Are you talking about the edge tripping and the bouncing up?

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Realy you want help how about a litle more info so we have SOMETHING to base our answer on

where you plowing gravel?
    was it wet snow

how deep was the snow
    was it driven on first
    was it packed down

plus I dont know what "it feels like" is
    did the plow trip?
    did it lift the front of the truck up?

you got to give us more info.

5. jsecape

jsecape Junior Member
    from Maine

Sorry My bad...The plow blade gets stuck grass,The hole thing bends down,I feel if i was going fast the truck would flip...what am i doing wrong.....

6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

The whole plow should not bend. The trip edge should trip and you can keep going.

7. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

I only have only had boss plows but when plowing over grass you're better off triggering up so you dont tear it

8. RonWin

RonWin Senior Member

raise your plow up once you get to the edge of the road/driveway. you need to look outside your window to see where your plow front is while driving then do so. I just started plowing yesterday my first time ever. i did 4 drive ways with minial grass tearing. If you have to get out and shovel snow away from the garage/house/obstacles then do so. better safe then sorry. if your tearing clients grass or property prepare to be confronted about it

9. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

Try using the shoes under the blade. Adjust them so that the blade rides maybe an 1/4 inch higher than the pavement. You may not get a 100% clean scrape, but at least you will plowing snow and NOT dirt and grass.:)

10. jsecape

jsecape Junior Member
    from Maine

How do i know if the trip edge is moving. I was plowing pavement then grass,that is when it happens.the blade and the hole plow bent down....

11. jsecape

jsecape Junior Member
    from Maine

was it wet snow no

how deep was the snow 6 to 9
    was it driven on first yes
    was it packed down sum what

plus I dont know what "it feels like" is
    did the plow trip?
    did it lift the front of the truck up? I think so
    I am so new to this....

12. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not familiar with fisher. Do they offer blade trip or just edge trip? Sounds like a blade trip that's doing what it's suppost too. As was mentioned before lift it up a little as you go into the grass.

13. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Does the backside of the blade have big springs on it? If they do, the blade is designed to bend over if the bottom of the blade is making contact with an object that does not want to move easily. An example might be a concrete curb or a chunk of metal sticking up out of the concrete or yes, grass. If the springs are too loose, the blade will trip very easy and fold right over. Solution might be to tighten the springs some. If you are plowing at 50km/h, you need to slow the heck down before you destroy the blade, the truck, the grass or all of the above. Definitely lift the blade some as was previously mentioned when you hit the grassy areas.

14. jsecape

jsecape Junior Member
    from Maine

15. second income

second income Member

That is a trip edge plow, you should not see any part of the plow trip from the cab, if you are the unit is about to come off of the truck, that being said you will feel a fairly violent jolt when the edge trips on an object. As everyone has said you need to either keep the shoes on the plow or raise it a tad and keep the chain tight before you hit the grass, NO floating it will only dig in if the lawn is not completely frozen. I think you might need to find someone who has plowed before and let them show you some basics!

16. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I think... the trip edge dug in when you hit the grass this added resistance will cause the truck to lift, seen as the plow going down.

did you dig up the lawn?

you need to raise the plow before you hit the lawn.

17. jsecape

jsecape Junior Member
    from Maine

It did dig in. Then the little speed bump i made stoped the plow and truck.I tried to give the truck a little gas then the plow and lights bent down...at that time s said S^)(_*&_(*&_(*&^_)&_

18. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

If your plow and lights "bent down" then you do not have it hooked up correctly. Are you sure you had the pins on the plow headgear locked on to the push plates? I am struggling to understand how the headgear on a Fisher plow with the lights attached could move like this and not cause catastrophic damage - the headgear becomes a fixed unit once it's pinned onto the truck:confused:

19. jsecape

jsecape Junior Member
    from Maine

20. jsecape

jsecape Junior Member
    from Maine

I went about 4mph